Old April 30th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default Voice of Mongolia

from 1015 to 1030 UTC English program heard yesterday, 29 April, on
12085 kHz. Weak but intelligible. In my experience, listening over
the years from locations in GA & VA, the Voice of Mongolia has always
been a difficult one to receive intelligibly in English.

Location: near Mathias, WV. Equipment: E1; 100 feet of wire, strung
about 17 feet high, connected to Par 9:1 transformer.

For those interested, the E1 handled the antenna pretty well, although
in the evening hours, the preamp at times needed to be turned off to
prevent overload. This was the first time that this has been an issue
for me w/this radio; previously I had used no longer than a 50 foot
antenna.

Old April 30th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I tried a 100 ft antenna with the E1, but it proved to be too much. I
get much better results with a 50-65 footer.

Not that this is a problem with the E1...it just wasn't made for big
antennas.

Old April 30th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

On the whole, I would say my results in coupling the E1 w/a 100 footer
were pretty decent.

Provided I had the E1's preamp off for most of the evening hours and
some of the early morning, I didn't have any problems.

I had the advantage of being in a very quiet location, camping in a
national forest. On the downside, being a temporary set up, I had to
take it down and head home some 24 hours later! And then return to my
home in Northern Virginia where listening is, while okay, nothing like
being in a noise-free environment.

I keep planning to get my hands on an SLA battery and again take the
R8B off on such excursions, as I've done in the past. Overall, though,
I've been fairly pleased with the results of the E1 on weekend outings
(it's no R8B of course, but for portable applications it's a great
choice, and it's decent on the batteries); consequently the R8B plan
keeps getting temporarily shelved.

Old May 1st 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

In article .com,
Han wrote:
Hello

I am just curious:
What kind of input has the Eton : SO239 or other?

As I remember the discussion, it uses the European style TV cable connector.
What the video stores over here call a "PAL" connector.

Mark Zenier

Old May 2nd 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Han wrote:
Hello

I am just curious:
What kind of input has the Eton : SO239 or other?
Did you use a Balun or /and a preselector?

With kind regards

Han , the Netherlands

You can also visit my website
http://home.wanadoo.nl/hanhardonk/indexengels.html

It contains over 100 recordings of radiostations below 30 MHz

Hi Han,

The Eton E1 has a PAL antenna jack. I did not find the need for a
preselector, so none was employed. I did not use a balun, but rather a
9:1 unun.

By the way, great website you have!

Best,

Junius