Old July 2nd 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default question for DXACE

OK mr know it all about Drakes...

where are all these $1200 R7's you are always talking about, the only 7's I
see are going for $2000 and up.....

Old July 2nd 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have an old antique heavy iron Horse parking brake/weight here (if you
know what those things are?) that no Drake, value wise can touch.
cuhulin

Old July 2nd 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

There was at least one experimental Drake Radio.It never hit the
marketplace.I am not an expert or semi expert or even pretend to know
anything on Drake Radios.Now,wimmins are another storey.
cuhulin,the Expert on wimmins

Old July 2nd 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

mike maghakian wrote:

OK mr know it all about Drakes...

where are all these $1200 R7's you are always talking about, the only 7's I
see are going for $2000 and up.....

R7's or R7A's? But heck, I guess prices are going up!

Why do you care, I thought you were selling, not buying.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 2nd 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

mike maghakian wrote:

OK mr know it all about Drakes...

where are all these $1200 R7's you are always talking about, the only 7's I
see are going for $2000 and up.....

R7's or R7A's? But heck, I guess prices are going up!

Why do you care, I thought you were selling, not buying.

You've got to remember that you were trying to sell an R7 for what was it? $1800
or so? and that included an MS7 speaker that goes for $75 and up these days.
R7's, for whatever reason, do not seem to fetch the prices the R7A's get (which
is beyond me, as I've pointed out before they are the same radio, albeit without
a couple of easily added options).

I'm fairly certain that one could have a fully loaded R7 (all 5 filter positions
filled), NB installed, and toss in the AUX7 board to boot and it still would not
reach the price of a standard out of the factory R7A which comes with the 2.3, .5
and what they call an AM filter (which is ONLY a wire soldered across a position
on the filter board) and the NB.

My first R7 was purchased new out of AES in Cleveland (former home of the fake
Hispanic known as 'David Eduardo', by the way!) for $1000 and only had the 2.3
filter installed (and it came in the factory sealed box with an R7A manual).

Since then I think I'm on my 5th R7 and I've never paid more than $675-700 for
one. Most had all the filter positions filled, and I always yanked the CW filters
out, put in voice filters and also rearranged the filters so that they went in
logical order via the bandswitch. It's also advisable when putting voice filters
in the CW positions to disconnect the additional amplification that is used on
the CW filter positions (a 2 wire unsoldering job).

The one currently in use here has the 8,6,4,3 and 2.3 filters installed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 2nd 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 08:40:29 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

dxAce wrote:

mike maghakian wrote:

OK mr know it all about Drakes...

where are all these $1200 R7's you are always talking about, the only 7's I
see are going for $2000 and up.....

R7's or R7A's? But heck, I guess prices are going up!

Saw an auction in qst, a little hro-500 went for $3000.

bob
k5qwg

Old July 2nd 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

mike maghakian wrote:

OK mr know it all about Drakes...

where are all these $1200 R7's you are always talking about, the only 7's I
see are going for $2000 and up.....

Is that sticker (or whatever it is) that denotes your selectivity positions on
the R7 removable?

http://home.comcast.net/~maghakian/R7.jpg

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 2nd 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

dxAce wrote:

mike maghakian wrote:

OK mr know it all about Drakes...

where are all these $1200 R7's you are always talking about, the only 7's I
see are going for $2000 and up.....

R7's or R7A's? But heck, I guess prices are going up!

Saw an auction in qst, a little hro-500 went for $3000.

I've seen some Hallicrafters going for 10k +

Apples and oranges.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 2nd 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

At those prices,for whomever buys those old sky high priced radios,I
hope they include free shipping and handling.
cuhulin

Old July 2nd 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

And some people knock some people who shop at Goodwill stores. (or
similar thrift stores) Pam,a regular shopper at the Goodwill store,she
once told me,Huh Larry,buy this $44.00 shirt.(two dollars for the
shirt,I paid) A couple of days later,I was driving along and I flicked a
cigarette butt out the window.The wind blew that cigarette butt up my
left old ugly armpit.It ruined that $44.00 shirt.
cuhulin