Old August 3rd 03, 10:26 PM
Tink *~*~*

Default newbie question

I'm a person who only just started to investigate satellite radio,
like, five minutes ago. I'm tired of there being no country station
in the NY-Metro area, and I don't believe in "video killed the radio
star", so I need my radio.

It looks to me, from what I've read thus far, that satellite radio is
only for vehicles, not for the home - is this true? I'd be very
disappointed, as I don't spend a great deal of time in my car.

So, is there (or not) satellite radio for the home?

Tink *~*~*

Old August 4th 03, 07:08 AM
news.verizon.net

"Tink *~*~*" wrote in message
I'm a person who only just started to investigate satellite radio,
like, five minutes ago. I'm tired of there being no country station
in the NY-Metro area, and I don't believe in "video killed the radio
star", so I need my radio.

It looks to me, from what I've read thus far, that satellite radio is
only for vehicles, not for the home - is this true? I'd be very
disappointed, as I don't spend a great deal of time in my car.

So, is there (or not) satellite radio for the home?

www.xmradio.com

XM has the Delphi unit that works in your home/car/office etc. They also
have a PCMCIA card for your computer.

Sirius (www.sirius.com) also has a "Plug-n-Play" unit, but I don't hear very
nice things about it.

I've personally experienced both Sirius and XM programming (I have an XM
unit in my 2001 Ford F150).
While I prefer the audio quality of Sirius, I prefer the content variety on
XM. I suggest spending an afternoon at Best Buy and
making a judgement call.

The other thing to consider would be the longevity of the broadcaster. It's
been suggested that Sirius is on some fairly shaky
financial ground. XM seems to have the better shot at actually "making it"
in this economy. Since the radio units aren't cross
compatible, you'd be SOL if you'd purchased a Sirius compatible radio and
then Sirius went the way of DrKoop.com.

Just my two cents,

Jeremy Powell

Old August 4th 03, 07:08 AM
Vinyl Bytes

"Tink *~*~*" wrote

[snip]
So, is there (or not) satellite radio for the home?

Sure. http://www.xmradio.com/skyfi/ has info on a Delphi unit that works
with XM and
http://www.siriusradio.com/servlet/C...us/CachedPage&
c=Page&cid=1019257316821 has the same for Sirius. Of course most of the
hardware is sold through dealers so check out Best Buy, Circuit City or any
other in your area.

BTW, if you're looking for an alternate to local stations check out your
cable TV or satellite TV provider. They often have a bunch of audio
channels. You may already have what you're looking for.

--
Dave - a.k.a. VB

Newbie Ham question: Antenna (Diamond X-50) Dave Bushong General 6 November 25th 04 04:23 PM
newbie question, grounding joe Antenna 5 May 9th 04 05:55 PM
Newbie TV rotator question, wiring CME Antenna 1 March 3rd 04 10:42 PM
randon wire newbie question lethal Antenna 4 February 7th 04 12:01 PM
TV antenna question , newbie cme Antenna 1 February 5th 04 05:03 PM