Old December 16th 03, 05:12 PM
Eldric Bach

Default Newbie Question concerning physical format of broadcast radio programs.

I'm somewhat curious as to the type of format that radio broadcasts
(such as talk radio programs) are currently stored at radio stations,
or if it is a syndicated radio program, that copies of old shows are
shipped to other radio stations. Also, is primarily all broadcast
shows (including OTR broadcasts) in the same type of format these
days? I've spent most of my time examining the formats of broadcast
video media the past few months, so I do not have that much knowledge
when it comes to radio (which is what I'm looking into now).
Anyway, thanks in advance for your time and patience and I hope
someone can help me with this problem.
Eldric

Old December 17th 03, 04:58 PM
Rich Wood

On 16 Dec 2003 16:12:50 GMT, (Eldric Bach)
wrote:

I'm somewhat curious as to the type of format that radio broadcasts
(such as talk radio programs) are currently stored at radio stations,
or if it is a syndicated radio program, that copies of old shows are
shipped to other radio stations.

Talk Radio shows with time value are almost always carried live via
satellite. Some shows, even time sensitive ones, are often refed
either by the network or stored in a digital automation system at the
station for broadcast later. Networks also store the show in digital
form if they provide the refeed. Refeeding a time sensitive show can
be embarrassing when the host is talking about a breaking news event.

Shipping shows from one station to another is known as "bicycling" and
I haven't seen that done in at least a decade.

Also, is primarily all broadcast
shows (including OTR broadcasts) in the same type of format these
days? I've spent most of my time examining the formats of broadcast
video media the past few months, so I do not have that much knowledge
when it comes to radio (which is what I'm looking into now).

The primary media is digital. Nearly every station has a large hard
drive storage system used to store commercials, music and any other
material it may need. The material can be called up manually, live
assist, or fully automated.

The other storage media are CD, minidisc and, occasionally DAT
(digital tape). Many stations have no analog audio tape in use. There
will probably be a reel-to-reel or cassette machine gathering dust
just in case a tape comes in from the outside. Some brokered (pay for
play) and religious shows are delivered on cassette.

Gaining in popularity is MP3 because it can be sent over the Internet.
Many shows allow stations to go to a web site and download the current
or archived shows. If the file is sampled at a decent rate it's
broadcast quality.

Rich