Old June 13th 05, 07:16 PM
kturnerga

Default Proposing Yahoo Aircheck group

Hello
I am an aircheck collector and a fan of old music radio and disk
jockeys. As of now there are only two forums for us; the ReelRadio
forum and a primarily Canadian forum.

If more old hands in the radio trade and other aircheck collectors show
enough interest I propose the establishment of a Yahoo group dealing in
airchecks and old music radio (eg. Top 40 radio from the Fifties to the
Eighties).

Sadly the ReelRadio forum is being operated under strict rules that
preclude advertising other aircheck collections or posting excerpts
from other sources. And its operator, "Uncle Ricky", enforces these
rules with an iron fist. I was blocked from the message board
apparently for asking how to get legal permission for putting unscoped
airchecks on an internet radio station. The final straw for me came
when Uncle Ricky berated Anita Bonita, former air personality, for
putting excerpts from a third source on the board. He pitched a
tantrum and threatened to take down the message board.

We as aircheck collectors do not need to suffer for Uncle Ricky's
desire to further his self-aggrandizement (he apparently wants nobody
else to provide airchecks) at the expense of the overall preservation
of old music radio.

Thank you

Ken

Old June 16th 05, 05:56 PM
kturnerga

Correction:
It was NOT, repeat NOT Anita Bonita but another Anita who was
castigated by Uncle Ricky.

Yet I still stand by my basic idea of a Yahoo group.

KAT

Old June 16th 05, 05:56 PM
Jackson

Ken,

First of all, Uncle Ricky provides one of the greatest resources out
there for people who want to listen to old Top 40 airchecks. The day
you run your own website, pay for your own website and administer your
own website -- plus polish all the audio and write most of the text --
then you can complain about "suffering" because of "his
self-aggrandizement."

Second, when you say "he apparently wants nobody else to provide
airchecks," you've obviously not spent any time on the website. If you
pay attention, virtually EVERY audio recording was provided by someone
other than Ricky. In fact, nearly every well-known collector has
contributed audio to the site.

Third, do you know all the different elements that go into having to
get permissions and rights to stream these audio presentations on the
Internet? After you get through jumping through all the hoops of
setting up an account with SoundExchange to pay royalties, not to
mention setting up the streaming server, let me know how much you
enjoyed the experience.

ReelRadio is very genre specific -- Top 40 radio. I wanted to share my
collection of 30+ years of airchecks, documents and photographs, so I
started my own website and jumped through those hoops. Oh, and if you
tried to post "advertising other aircheck collections or posting
excerpts from other sources" on my site, I'd do the same thing Ricky
did.

Sadly the ReelRadio forum is being operated under strict rules...

Again, spend a minute or two on ReelRadio to learn what it's about.
It's not a trading post. It's not a place that sells airchecks. And
don't forget that it's his website, and he can make the rules, the same
way you can when you set up your own website.

By the way, rather than starting another Yahoo aircheck group, why
don't you join one that's already there? I count at least five general
interest aircheck collecting groups on Yahoo right now, plus another
dozen with more specific interests. (Of course, they may have rules
that you disagree with.)

One of the best groups out there is Radio-Info.com's Aircheck Collector
board (http://www.radio-info.com/mods/posts?Board=airchecks), which is
regularly visited by some of the better-known collectors. Give it a
shot; it's moderated, but the rules are flexible enough that you won't
have the problem you encountered at ReelRadio.

D.J.

Old June 16th 05, 05:56 PM
lsmyer

Count me in!

Old June 16th 05, 05:56 PM
Christopher C. Stacy

"kturnerga" writes:
We as aircheck collectors do not need to suffer for Uncle Ricky's
desire to further his self-aggrandizement (he apparently wants nobody
else to provide airchecks) at the expense of the overall preservation
of old music radio.

Assuming you have related the entire facts of the matter,
the "final straw" case was when he got upset when someone
used his web site to publish materials for which no authorizing
legal paperwork was given. This was presumably a clear violation
of the policy of his web site, we well as a violation of the terms
of service with his Internet provider (who could take down his
site off the net). Perhaps Uncle Ricky is justifiably concerned
(or even terrified) that he will be both shut down and on the
receiving end of very serious legal action from the owners of
the copyrighted materials that you propose to reproduce.

I propose the establishment of a Yahoo group dealing in airchecks
and old music radio (eg. Top 40 radio from the Fifties to the Eighties).

I have no idea whether Yahoo will ultimately allow you to
host these kinds of materials, but I suspect that they will
have terms and conditions forbidding it.

Anyway, I don't see why you shouldn't feel free to bring up
your own site, solicit contributed materials, and make up
your own rules. It should be possible to accomplish legally.
Maybe your site will be better than Uncle Ricky's.
Post the URL here when it's available.

As I am sure you realize, all on-air material is copyrighted
by the broadcast station (its owners/successors), as typically
indicated in the station sign-on/off announcement.
Individual elements of the broadcast compilation work, such as
the commercials and jingles are in turn copyrighted by agencies
and clients. The DJ banter is probably owned by the station,
since it was an employer/employee work for hire, unless it was
licensed as a special production of the DJ or a syndication.
Music played on the radio in the 1950s is still under copyright,
and (since I'm listening to an oldies FM station at this moment)
I am fairly certain that it's subject to licensing from ASCAP
and BMI, with additional enforcement by organizations such as
the RIAA (which has been very aggressive in Internet-based
copyright violations).

One assumes that you have good lawyers and deep pockets.
So, do let us know how that goes.