Old June 12th 04, 06:04 PM
Chris

Default Ideas for a homemade mobile antenna.

I have constructed a homeade antenna that is mounted on a trunk-lip mount on
a Nissan Sentra. The bottom is 18" of 1/2" copper pipe with a 3/8" theaded
adapter soldered in the bottom. There is a 9" long peice of pvc with a 2"
diameter 6ga. copper coil around it. Then there is 4" more copper pipe with
a 3ft' stainless tip on top. The problem is that it would be too easy to
bend the trunk with copper pipe. I thought about a spring but then the whole
thing would bend too much when the trunk is opened. If I move the coil down
below roof level, the SWR goes way up. I thought about using pvc for the
lower part but I can't quite figure out how to construct it. I may take some
pictures of what I have. Stay tuned......

Old June 12th 04, 07:57 PM
Chris

Here are some pictures
http://home.earthlink.net/~cjohnson1379/

nk.net...

Old June 12th 04, 10:16 PM
Leland C. Scott

Chris;

Nice home brewed antenna for the mobile. You are right about bending the
trunk lip with an antenna that size. Some people use guy wires, made out of
nylon rope or string, to take some of the forces off the antenna while
driving.

Most people use a form of bumper mount, or the trailer hitch. Either one
would let you construct a more robust mount for the antenna. Also I would
strongly suggest that you don't use regular lead-tin solder for any area
that you have to have high mechanical strength. It will crack I'll guarantee
you. You will have to use silver solder in its place.

Also try posting some messages on "rec.radio.amateur.antenna". They don't
care if you're a Ham, CBer, or what ever so long as you have an interest in
antennas. Some of those guys have already been down the road you're on and
can give you some VERY valuable tips on how to go about your project.

Good luck.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

Wireless Network
Mobile computing
on the go brought
to you by Micro$oft

"Chris" wrote in message
nk.net...
Here are some pictures
http://home.earthlink.net/~cjohnson1379/

nk.net...

Old June 12th 04, 10:31 PM
Bada Bing

"Leland C. Scott" wrote in message
Also try posting some messages on "rec.radio.amateur.antenna". They don't
care if you're a Ham, CBer, or what ever so long as you have an interest

in
antennas.

Unlike you, you faggot ass cock sucker.

"Leland C. Scott" wrote in message:
He's going to get a Ham ticket so he's not limited to putzing around on 11m
any more.

--
Leland C. Scott
KC8LD0

Old June 12th 04, 10:33 PM
I Am Not George

"Chris" wrote in message ink.net...
Here are some pictures
http://home.earthlink.net/~cjohnson1379/

"Chris" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

yes I agree you do nice work chris one question though the 6ga copper
coil and 1/2 in copper pipe are overkill for CB no need to go that big
unless you are running megawatts. Even with your illegal 100 w amp
you still only need a wilson or equivelent that would be much less
weight and problems. but may be you just like the look of it etc. the
heavy duty badass appearance kind of like car hood hold down pins on a
stock engine lol

Old June 12th 04, 10:44 PM
Bada Bing

"Bada Bing" wrote in message
s.com...

"Leland C. Scott" wrote in message
Also try posting some messages on "rec.radio.amateur.antenna". They don't
care if you're a Ham, CBer, or what ever so long as you have an interest

in
antennas.

Unlike you, you faggot ass cock sucker.

"Leland C. Scott" wrote in message:
He's going to get a Ham ticket so he's not limited to putzing around on

11m
any more.

Leland C. Scott
KC8LD0

KC8LDO, offended the nation and disgraced himself by undermining the
death and tragedy in NYC while comparing it to his personal crusade of
cleaning up the cb channels with:

That's easy to explain. As another poster a short time back said about
Part 95 rules "I don't care", well you see what happens when that mind
set gets applied in a different context. It is very apparent they didn't
care about human life either, including their own.
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO
ARRL Member

Old June 13th 04, 12:52 AM
Chris

Thanks. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could make my own antenna
and see how well it worked. There are 2 reasons for the large coil. In
comparing a few antennas of roughly equal length, the ones with large open
coils tend to be more broad-banded. Larger materials also have less
resistive loss and more radiating are. The lower part doesn't really have to
be 1/2' copper pipe but it was the first thing I thought of. I'm going with
copper wire wrapped on pvc shortly.

Chris
"I Am Not George" wrote in message
m...
"Chris" wrote in message

ink.net...
Here are some pictures
http://home.earthlink.net/~cjohnson1379/

nk.net...

Old June 13th 04, 05:54 AM
I Am Not George

"Twistedhed" wrote in message ws.com...
KC8LDO, offended the nation and disgraced himself by
undermining the
death and tragedy in NYC while comparing it to his personal crusade of
cleaning up the cb channels with:

That's easy to explain. As another poster a short time back said about
Part 95 rules "I don't care", well you see what happens when that mind
set gets applied in a different context. It is very apparent they didn't
care about human life either, including their own.
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO
ARRL Member

Leland Scott is one of the most honest and honorable men ever to post
in rrcb and your twisted propoganda can't ever change that.