Old October 26th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default XF4DL: how are folks doing?

Worked 'em every where you wanted to yet? Are they hearing Europeans
and Asians as well as they're hearing us in the USA?

(judging from the number of JA calls I hear them working, I don't
*think* anyone in Asia has any complaints coming!)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old October 26th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
Worked 'em every where you wanted to yet? Are they hearing Europeans
and Asians as well as they're hearing us in the USA?

I didn't even know about them. sigh I've been inactive
the last 3 years; just started playing on HF again. Are
they working PSK31 or RTTY on the expedition? (I dragged
the 706 out but haven't found the microphone, and I think
my paddles are still in the garage.)

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001
Old October 26th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Lot of RTTY. Listen on 17.

--
Jim Bob Buckeye
AKA

Old October 26th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
Worked 'em every where you wanted to yet? Are they hearing Europeans and
Asians as well as they're hearing us in the USA?

Don't know how they are doing,but in my area they are hardly audible on any
of the HF bands, do not do 40m or 80m or 160m.
Mainly interested in RTTY tried 17m for two days but the conditions appear
to favour the Southern countries so had no luck. Will keep trying, glad I
got the XF4 the last time on a couple of bands on SSB.

73 de Charlie GM4UZY.

Old October 28th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
they working PSK31 or RTTY on the expedition? (I dragged
the 706 out but haven't found the microphone, and I think

I worked them on PSK31 on 30 meters yesterday morning. DX Summit said
they were on 17 RTTY at the time too, but I couldn't find them there.

If you can find the microphone, you can use the up/down buttons as a
paddlegrin...

I found the mike, and caught one of the ops on 21295 simplex;
that's number 191 worked for me. It was my first phone ops
in 3 years, and I think a general dislike for SSB pileups
is part of why I went inactive for a while. I've been in
some RTTY pileups and even a few PSK pileups, but for some
reason the digital pileups seem much less frantic, and much
easier on my system.

Not so many "cops" yelling "HE's working UP, you LID!" for
one thing. :-) I've really enjoyed PSK; hope more
expeditions to exotic places will be including it when
they plan their modes/bands.

Old October 29th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

wrote in message
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
[...]

That's why I prefer working DX on CW.

Dee, N8UZE

Old October 29th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

wrote:
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

they working PSK31 or RTTY on the expedition? (I dragged
the 706 out but haven't found the microphone, and I think

I worked them on PSK31 on 30 meters yesterday morning. DX Summit said
they were on 17 RTTY at the time too, but I couldn't find them there.

If you can find the microphone, you can use the up/down buttons as a
paddlegrin...

I found the mike, and caught one of the ops on 21295 simplex;
that's number 191 worked for me.

Congrats!

BTW I wasn't being facetous when I said you could use the up/down
buttons as a paddle... At least on the MKIIG there's a menu option that
allows that. I've made dozens (probably about 200) CW contacts on mine
that way. It does take some practice.

It was my first phone ops
in 3 years, and I think a general dislike for SSB pileups
is part of why I went inactive for a while. I've been in
some RTTY pileups and even a few PSK pileups, but for some
reason the digital pileups seem much less frantic, and much
easier on my system.

Not so many "cops" yelling "HE's working UP, you LID!" for
one thing. :-) I've really enjoyed PSK; hope more
expeditions to exotic places will be including it when
they plan their modes/bands.

Don't worry, the lids will get there eventuallyG (or f, as in
frown...)