Old October 4th 17, 06:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [W2LJ] Skunk for lunch

W2LJ QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Skunk for lunch

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

I headed outside again today with the QRP gear, to try some stuff.

1) I wanted to try a different method for tuning the magloop capacitor
2) I wanted to try a little more Reverse Beacon spotting.

Although I made no contacts, I did have success (more than I thought) with
the new method of tuning the magloop. Instead of listening for the loudest
receive noise with my ears, I keep my eye on the KX3's S-Meter and watch
for the most bars. Once I get there, I tweak very slowly for the loudest
receive noise and then use the KX3's SWR Meters for the lowest SWR. I was
surprised how much better and quicker this worked. It was markedly faster
than my older method of just listening. I guess in my old age, the KX3's
S-Meter reacts more quickly than my ears do.

The second "experiment" involved sending out CQs with the primary purpose
of wondering how RBN would pick me up. I certainly would have answered any
calls, as that would have been icing on the cake, but even though I got no
takers, I fulfilled my primary objective.

17 and 20 Meters got me the most distance - no surprise there. 40 Meters
got me the most hits.

While it would have been more fun to have actually had a QSO, it wasn't a
totally wasted effort. Tomorrow, I'll spend more time actually trying to
nail down a QSO.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!