Old October 4th 17, 02:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Porter Scrub Conservation Park 5CP-189 and VKFF-0787

vk5pas

Porter Scrub Conservation Park 5CP-189 and VKFF-0787

https://vk5pas.org/2017/10/04/porter...and-vkff-0787/

Last Monday (2nd October 2017) was a public holiday here in South
Australia.Labor Day. *The public holiday *has its origins in the eight
hour*day*movement, which advocated eight hours for work, eight hours for
recreation, and eight hours for rest. *I had the day off as a grace day, so
I headed out to activate the Porter Scrub Conservation Park 5CP-189 and
VKFF-0787.

I have activated and qualified this park previously, so it was going to be
another activation towards the Boomerang Award for the World Wide Flora
Fauna (WWFF) program.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Porter Scrub Conservation Park in
the Adelaide Hills. *Map courtesy of Location SA Map Viewer.

Porter Scrub Conservation Park is 104 hectares in size and is located at
Kenton Valley in the Central Mount Lofty Ranges Adelaide Hills. *It is
situated about 30 km north east of the city of Adelaide. *After purchase
from the estate of the late J. J. Porter, the park was proclaimed on 20
October 2005.
Approximately 99 hectares of the park is land that was purchased from the
estate of the late J. J. Porter with financial assistance from the National
Reserve System Program of the Australian Government’s Natural Heritage
Trust and a contribution from the Nature Foundation SA Inc. *The park also
consists of a closed road reserve and 3.7 hectares of land that was
previously an Adelaide Hills Council reserve.
Above:- Aerial shot showing the park. *Image courtesy of Google maps.

For most of the 1900s the Porter family were the freehold owners of the
land comprising the park. *The land was never cleared, however sheep were
grazed until the land was acquired for conservation purrposes. *The park
was also used as a source of timber, with large numbers of saw logs being
extracted. *The stumps and coppice regrowth can be seen in the park. *Bark
was stripped from Golden Wattle trees for the tanning industry.

Early mining exploration occurred along Howard Creek with mines being
established for talc extraction. *There are numerous old mine shafts
located within the park. *Talc mining ceased in the late 1960s due to
competition in the industry. *The primary mining site in the central part
of the park was also a source of soapstone, which was used as “fire bricks”
for use in ovens and kilns.

The park terrain is undulating to hilly, flanking a central valley along
Howard Creek which flows into the River Torrens. *It includes areas of
messmate Stringybark*Woodland and Candlebark Gum*open forest, pink gum*low
woodland and river red gum*woodland are found in the park. *Candelbark Gum
open forest is considered endangered in South Australia. *The park also
supports grassy woodlands of Messmate Stringybark and Manna Gum and South
Australian Blue Gum. **Pink Gum and River Red Gum are considered vulnerable
at a state level.

During my visit to the park there were a number of the native plants in
flower.

A large number of native birds have been recorded in the park including 11
bird species of conservation significance. *Birds recorded in the park
include*White-throated Treecreeper,*Superb Fairywren, Yellow-faced
Honeyeater, Grey Shrikethrush, Striated Pardalote,*White-browed
Scrubwren,*Brown Thornbill,*Australian Golden Whistler, Grey Shrikethrush,
Grey Fantail,*Common Bronzewing, Sacred Kingfisher, Buff-rumped Thornbill,
Black-capped Sittella, and Willie Wagtail.
Various native mammals call the park home including Western Grey Kangaroo,
Short beaked Echidna, Koala, Common Brushtail Possum, Common Ringtail
Possum, and the nationally endangered Southern Brown Bandicoot.

I have previously activated from the southern side of the park off Maidment
Road. *This time I decided to try the northern side. *So I headed out from
home through Woodside and on to Lobethal. *I then took Burfords Hill Road
heading east and as I approached the park there were some great views of
the western boundary of the park.

I parked my vehicle and walked a short distance into the park and started
to set up the station. *There was a small area here at the gate where I
could pull the vehicle off the road.

As it was a warm 24 deg C day I chose the shade of some gum trees. *I was
also on the lookout for snakes. *I ran my normal station for this
activation which comprised the Yaesu FT-857d, 40 watts output, and the
20/40/80m linked dipole, inverted vee on the top of the 7 metre heavy duty
telescopic squid pole.
Above:- Aerial view of the park, showing my operating spot in the north
eastern corner. *Image courtesy of Location SA Map Viewer.

I headed to my normal operating frequency on 40m, 7.144, and found Adam
VK2YK there, calling CQ from the Medowie State Conservation Area
VKFF-1349. *It was a great way to start the activation with a Park to Park
contact. *I then moved down to 7.139 and asked if the frequency was in
use. *Peter VK3PF came back to advise it was free. *Peter had followed me
down from 7.144. *I then logged regular park hunter Rick VK4RF/VK4HA,
followed by Geoff VK3SQ and then Mike VK3ZMD.

The band was in quite good condition, with good signals coming in from VK2,
VK3 and VK4. *What was evident, was that close in propagation was not great
again, with just Andrew VK5 mobile at Roxy Downs in the north of the State,
and Greg VK5GJ at Meadows, making my log. *My wife Marija VK5FMAZ had sent
me a text to advise that I was unreadable at our home QTH of Mount Barker,
about 30 km to the south of the park.

I logged a total of 32 stations on 40m including another Park to Park, with
Bill VK4FW/p in the Cherbourg National Park VKFF-0669. *I then lowered the
squid pole and inserted the links for 40m, and headed to 3.610. *The first
station in the log there was Greg VK5GJ, followed by Mike VK5FMWW and then
Marija VK5FMAZ. *It was still bright sunshine, but the 80m band was working
well, with 7 stations logged, including Mick VK3GGG/VK3PMG in western
Victoria.

I then moved over to the 20m band hoping to log some European
stations. *Long path to Europe on 20m has been quite good the past few
weeks, so I was hopeful that I might be able to work a little bit of DX,
despite the antenna not being ideal. *My first station logged on 20m was
Luciano I5FLN in Italy, followed by Hans VK6XN in Western Australia, and
then Michele IZ8EFD in Italy. *I ended up logging a total of 13 stations on
20m from Italy, VK6, Japan, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, VK4, and New
Zealand. *It was quite difficult at times, with the Over the Horizon Radar
belting away in the background.

I had seen Andrew VK1AD spotted, on a SOTA peak on 14.315, so when things
slowed down a little, I headed there, but could not hear a peep from
Andrew. *So I moved back to the 40m band and called CQ on 7.130. *Peter
VK3ZPF responded to my call, followed by Keith VK3FMKE, and then Sergio
VK3SFG. *I logged a total of 32 stations from VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5, VK6, and
VK7. *This included a difficult Park to Park contact with Nigel Vk5NIG/p
who was in the Cobbler Creek Recreation Park VKFF-1699. *I initially could
not pull Nigel through, who was running just 2 watts, but eventually we got
there. *Many thanks to those who were waiting and also thanks for nobody
relaying, which would have made the contact void. *It was also nice to have
a bit of a chat with Jim VK2QA, and also Glen VK3GMC who had his 7 year old
grandson Kai in the shack.

It was now 7.30 p.m. and I decided to try 80m again. *I started off on
3.610, but unfortunately a Net commenced on 3.609 whilst I was speaking
with stations, and they were not going to move for anyone. *So I decided it
just wasnt worth the grief, and QSYd to 3.600. *I logged 11 stations this
time on 80m from VK2, VK3, VK5, and VK7. *The strongest station worked was
Nev in the Mid North of South Australia, who was 5/9 plus.

To finish off the activation I moved back to 40m and booked in to the 7130
DX Net. *Sadly there wasnt much DX around and I logged just 3 stations:
Peter VK7PRN, George VK4GSF and Marcus VK2SK. *The temperature had
dramatically dropped down to 8 deg C and I decided it was time to pull
stumps and head home.

It had been a terrific activation, with a total of 98 contacts in the
log. *Just 2 short of a century.

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK2YK/p (Medowie State Conservation Area VKFF-1349)
VK3PF
VK4RF
VK4HA
VK3SQ
VK3ZMD
VK2HHA
VK3OHM
VK2NP
VK3UH
VK3VGB
VK3TKK
VK3FCMC
VK4TJ
VK4HNS
VK4XAC
VK4VCO/m
VK3GGG
VK3PMG
VK2UH
VK3MDH/m
VK3CM
VK3MJR
VK3VIN
VK3FRJD
VK3NSC
VK2PKT
VK5MR/m
VK3KMA
VK2KYO
VK4FW/p (Cherbourg National Park VKFF-0669)
VK5GJ
VK3ZPF
VK3FMKE
VK3SFG
VK4SMA
VK2YK
VK2IO/m
VK6XN
VK2NED
VK5NIG/p (Cobbler Creek Recreation Park VKFF-1699)
VK3HK
VK2NP
VK3BBB
VK3FSPG
VK3MPR
VK4FDJL
VK3MDH
VK7KEV
VK3NLK
VK3FLJD
VK3RU
VK7JN
VK7KW
VK4OY
VK3FNQS
VK2QA
VK3EXA
VK3GMC
VK7FRJG
VK2MMM
VK6MAC
VK6RZ
ZL2ASH
VK7PRN
VK4GSF
VK2SK

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK5GJ
VK5FMWW
VK5FMAZ
VK3GGG
VK3PMG
VK5FANA
VK5NRG
VK2FENG
VK3ARH
VK2NP
VK3PKY
VK3KIX
VK3BSP
VK3FLJD
VK2YK
VK5WG
VK7ALH
VK7NWT

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

I5FLN
VK6XN
IZ8EFD
IZ8DFO