Old December 8th 17, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] What SWR meter should I buy?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

What SWR meter should I buy?

The Diamond SX-200 measures power up to 200 W and SWR from 1.8 MHz to 200
MHz.

Yesterday, one of my students asked:

Im going to ask for an SWR meter for Christmas. When I look at various
products theres all sortsÂ*of types. Whats the basic kind I should look for?

I replied:

The first question you might ask yourself is whether or not you need an SWR
meter. Most modern radios, including your FT-450D, have a built-in SWR
meter. I currently do not use an SWR meter for HF.

What might be useful is a combination power/SWR meter. A couple of
relatively inexpensive products in this category are the Diamond SX-200 and
the DaiwaÂ*CN-501H. They are both just under $100.

These products are not really very accurate when it comes to measuring
power. At best, their accuracy is ±10%. They are much more accurate when
measuring SWR because SWR is a relative, not an absolute measurement.

To get better accuracy, you have to move up to something like the Elecraft
W2. A factory-assembled version is $300. A no-solder kit version
(basically, you’re just doing the final assembly) is $250. Another, more
expensive option is the Telepost LP-100A. It costs $475.

What other advice would you give this student?

The post What SWR meter should I buy? appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio
Blog.