Old February 26th 04, 11:11 PM
Thierry

Default QST vs CQ

Hi,

In order to complete a long article about the history of ham radio I would
like to know :

- QST vs CQ, what magazine gathers today the large audience ? Some states it
is CQ.
- Who created CQ in 1945 ?
- Could someone provide me some electronic picture showing the first covers
of QST 1920 and CQ 1950 ?

Thanks in advance

Thierry, ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry

Old February 27th 04, 02:08 AM

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:11:58 +0100, "Thierry" To answer me in private
use http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote:

Hi,

In order to complete a long article about the history of ham radio I would
like to know :

- QST vs CQ, what magazine gathers today the large audience ? Some states it
is CQ.
- Who created CQ in 1945 ?
- Could someone provide me some electronic picture showing the first covers
of QST 1920 and CQ 1950 ?

Thanks in advance

Thierry, ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry

It may be easier to contact the publisher for this. They may
have a reference collection of all covers.

Old February 27th 04, 04:19 AM
Mark Keith

"Thierry" To answer me in private use http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote in message ...
Hi,

In order to complete a long article about the history of ham radio I would
like to know :

- QST vs CQ, what magazine gathers today the large audience ? Some states it
is CQ.
- Who created CQ in 1945 ?
- Could someone provide me some electronic picture showing the first covers
of QST 1920 and CQ 1950 ?

Thanks in advance

Thierry, ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry

I think the first qst was dec 1915. I had a repro somewhere in a dec
1955 qst. "40 year reissue" The first cover was fairly plain. I'd
have to double check, but seems to me I have some of the first issues
of cq in 1945...My oldest "real" qst's are back to 1935.
They went back quite a bit farther than that though. A friend of mine
had a bunch of 20's issues, but they were stolen out of a
mini-warehouse...At the time, they weren't that much of an issue,
being they also stole all his gear..."Including not one, but 3 henry
consoles, "one each for 2m,6m,and 70cm"
MK

Old February 28th 04, 07:48 PM
Edward A. Feustel

"Thierry" To answer me in private use
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/post.htm wrote in message
Hi,

In order to complete a long article about the history of ham radio I would
like to know :

- QST vs CQ, what magazine gathers today the large audience ? Some states

it
is CQ.
- Who created CQ in 1945 ?
- Could someone provide me some electronic picture showing the first

covers
of QST 1920 and CQ 1950 ?

Thanks in advance

Thierry, ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry

I believe that the founder of CQ was Wayne Green (W2NSD) who then went on to
found Byte magazine and
another ham magazine.
Ed, N5EI

Old February 28th 04, 08:41 PM
Dick

The ham magazine was 73. Would you believe that back in the 60's you
could get a life membership to 73 for $73? Would have been a good
deal until the magazine went belly up last year.

Dick - W6CCD

Old February 28th 04, 11:14 PM
Michael Black

Dick (LeadWinger) writes:
The ham magazine was 73. Would you believe that back in the 60's you
could get a life membership to 73 for $73? Would have been a good
deal until the magazine went belly up last year.

Dick - W6CCD

It was far better than that. The original price for life subscription to
73 was $37 US, chosen because it was a transposal of the two digits in
the magazine's name. Bill Turner who inhabits some of the newsgroups
and wrote many an article for the magazine, bought a life subscription
at that level, and says that yes indeed he did get it for life, with
the last issue being the last issue the magazine published.

I don't know how much the life subscription price varied over the years.
I do remember much being said about a $73 subscription in 1973.

Michael VE2BVW