Old June 26th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default new to HF...need antenna recommendations?

Hi,
I'm fairly new to the HF thing. I currently have a dipole antenna
which is hung up in a low tree :-{ Needless to say it's too low
(~8-10') off the ground and I'm contemplated getting a vertical. I
also seem to be having ground problems...my rig is fairly far from any
outdoor "earth" ground material. So I'm trying to resolve these
problems and try my hand at DX. Does anyone have any advice? Am I
likely to have better results with a free-standing vertical? Also,
what is a good grounding option for a fairly remote indoor location?
Thanks.

Old June 26th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Jeff wrote:

[stuff]

Personally, height matters to me. The higher the better, and yes, even
with 160-80 ... if you can achieve it?--1 ft. higher, go for it.

As close as you can, drive a good copper ground post, tie every ground
you can find to it ... mains ground?, your coax?--yes!, everything! ...
ground is good, and the closer the earth ground is to you--only the
better ...

Regards,
JS
Old June 28th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Jeff,
Try this antenna
http://www.bloomington.in.us/~wh2t/S...%20Antenna.htm

Many Vertical antennas require a RF ground system (usually many radials) to
obtain efficient radiation.
The old joke is "Verticals work equally poor in all directions".

A single ground rod or group of them bonded together , is seldom as
effective as a collection of random-length radial wires. Generally a large
number of shorter radials offers a better ground system than a few longer
ones . The power company ground can be tied in , and if a metal fence skirts
the property it can also be tied in as a part of the ground system .

If you want an easy to make vertical see

http://www.bloomington.in.us/~wh2t/invertedl.html

73, Ace - WH2T

ps.com...