Old October 28th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default How do you make RF circuit boards?

Sometimes, at work, I need to make, or have made, an RF PCB board to
test an RF part. For example, a surface mount 2-way power divider, up
to say 4 GHz. We have regular g10? copper clad, a PCB millimg machine.
Is a 50 ohms trace about .1 in wide in this material? What is
advantage of FR and Duriod? Is TXLINE a good program to determine
trace widths? Any good books on RF boards?
Any tips would be very appriciated.

I use APPCAD (free) to calculate line widths & impedances:

http://www.hp.woodshot.com/appcad/appcad.htm

For a given dielectric & impedance, the ratio of line width to thickness
is constant, so thinner boards mean thinner lines for a given impedance.
A 1/16" G-10 board requires about 110 mils of width for 50 Ohms.

G10/FR4 is OK up to several GHz, but it begins to get lossy and the
impedance won't be as tightly controlled as with a "real" RF board
material. It's OK to get a signal from A to B, but it ins't good for
filters.

Doug White

Old October 28th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

If you know the Er (dielectric constant), and the thickness if the
substrate, here is a nice website to calculate microstrip impedance...

http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/calmstrip.cfm

FR is basically just G-10 but fire retardant. G-10 is generally
considered OK up to about 1 GHz. Duroid has a higher Er and thus
thinner boards can be used and this will make a 50 Ohm line narrower and
reduce the line's radiation.

Scott
N0EDV

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Old October 28th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Doug White" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I use APPCAD (free) to calculate line widths & impedances:

http://www.hp.woodshot.com/appcad/appcad.htm

Take the newer one at:

http://www.hp.woodshot.com/appcad/version302/setup.exe

Regards,