Old September 1st 03, 02:24 PM
Don Pearce

Default RF amps: tuned load in Class A?

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 14:16:51 +0100, Paul Burridge
wrote:

Is a tuned load (tank circuit) a viable load for an RF amplifier
operating in class A? Or is this type of load only really suitable for
class C?

Of course you can use a tuned load with class A. But the nice thing
about a tuned load is that you don't *have* to use class A to achieve
a clean output. Of course, if you are using an amplitude modulated
signal, then you will need class A.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

Old September 1st 03, 04:02 PM
Kevin Aylward

wrote:

Is a tuned load (tank circuit) a viable load for an RF amplifier
operating in class A? Or is this type of load only really suitable
for class C?

Of course you can use a tuned load with class A. But the nice thing
about a tuned load is that you don't *have* to use class A to achieve
a clean output. Of course, if you are using an amplitude modulated
signal, then you will need class A.

That is, if the input signal is already AM, you need a class A or linear
amplifier. If the AM is to be done at that stage itself, then its the
class c non-linear bit that makes the multiplication modulation work.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Old September 1st 03, 09:24 PM
Kevin Aylward

Don Pearce wrote:

wrote:

Is a tuned load (tank circuit) a viable load for an RF amplifier
operating in class A? Or is this type of load only really suitable
for class C?

Of course you can use a tuned load with class A. But the nice thing
about a tuned load is that you don't *have* to use class A to
achieve a clean output. Of course, if you are using an amplitude
modulated signal, then you will need class A.

That is, if the input signal is already AM, you need a class A or
linear amplifier. If the AM is to be done at that stage itself, then
its the class c non-linear bit that makes the multiplication
modulation work.

True - I was considering only the "carrying the signal" case. Anode
modulation of a PA is a different matter.

Yes, I know you knew, I was just tiding up the description a bit for
others.

Old September 2nd 03, 09:30 AM
Ian Buckner

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
Don Pearce wrote:

snip
True - I was considering only the "carrying the signal" case.

Anode
modulation of a PA is a different matter.

Yes, I know you knew, I was just tiding up the description a bit for
others.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

But did Don know you knew he knew?

Regards
Ian

;-)

Old September 2nd 03, 09:51 AM
Don Pearce

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:30:38 +0100, "Ian Buckner"
wrote:

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
Don Pearce wrote:

snip
True - I was considering only the "carrying the signal" case.

Anode
modulation of a PA is a different matter.

Yes, I know you knew, I was just tiding up the description a bit for
others.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

But did Don know you knew he knew?

Regards
Ian

;-)
I had a suspicion that he had an inkling that I might have known that he had a fair idea that I may have had a rough idea.

http://www.pearce.uk.com