Old December 23rd 17, 02:18 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

Default Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-)

On 2017-12-22, Charles Richmond wrote:

On 12/22/2017 2:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:25:11 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

[snip]

As a child, I had relatives who lived within 6 or 7 miles of us and
their dialect was quite different. Relatives of a similar age who lived
closer didn't show the same differences. At times it really was a bit of
an issue.

I had a high school teacher who said that her Italian husband's
home village had a similar thing: the dialect of the people across the
river was quite different.

Back in the bad old days, two houses on different sides of the same
freeway... a phone call from one house to the other... was a
long-distant toll call !!! That is sort of analogous to speaking
dialects !!! :-)

I heard about a hotel in California that straddled area code
boundaries - it was long distance to call from one end of the
building to the other.

I haven't heard that, but it's almost assuredly an urban legend. The
phone company is not going to create two separate accounts and run lines
from two different offices to the same building.

The town of Lloydminster sits right on the Alberta/Saskatchewan
border. There's some interesting billing there.

Is there? Phone companies don't always follow political boundaries
(neither does the U.S. Postal Service).

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old December 23rd 17, 03:33 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 2017-12-22, Charles Richmond wrote:

[...]

I met a kid in college who had a hard time at the state university. He
lived in the state, but the post office gave them a delivery address from a
post office in a different state. I think it was finally resolved, but they
had to bring the deed and other documents. I would think a state drivers
license with his mailing address would be enough proof of the state he lived
in. The DMV isn't going to give you a license if you are out of state.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Old December 23rd 17, 04:24 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 2017-12-22, Charles Richmond wrote:

On 12/22/2017 2:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:25:11 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

[snip]

As a child, I had relatives who lived within 6 or 7 miles of us and
their dialect was quite different.Â* Relatives of a similar age who
lived
closer didn't show the same differences. At times it really was a
bit of
an issue.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* I had a high school teacher who said that her Italian husband's
home village had a similar thing: the dialect of the people across the
river was quite different.

Back in the bad old days, two houses on different sides of the same
freeway... a phone call from one house to the other... was a
long-distant toll call !!!Â* That is sort of analogous to speaking
dialects !!!Â* :-)

I heard about a hotel in California that straddled area code
boundaries - it was long distance to call from one end of the
building to the other.

I haven't heard that, but it's almost assuredly an urban legend.Â* The
phone
company is not going to create two separate accounts and run lines
from two
different offices to the same building.

The town of Lloydminster sits right on the Alberta/Saskatchewan
border.Â* There's some interesting billing there.

Is there?Â* Phone companies don't always follow political boundaries
(neither
does the U.S. Postal Service).

I met a kid in college who had a hard time at the state university.Â* He
lived in the state, but the post office gave them a delivery address
from a post office in a different state.Â* I think it was finally
resolved, but they had to bring the deed and other documents.Â* I would
think a state drivers license with his mailing address would be enough
proof of the state he lived in.Â* The DMV isn't going to give you a
license if you are out of state.

Yes, I can definitely believe that. Even here my mailing address is a
city "which" doesn't exist (most of the county, including my "city", is
unincorporated). And many people around here have mailing addresses in
an incorporated city while living in an unincorporated part of the
county, or vice versa.

What we don't have is people in Maryland with Virginia addresses or vice
versa, but that's to be understood. There's a river separating the two
(same with DC and Virginia). But I don't know of anyone in DC with
Maryland mailing addresses or vice versa. I wouldn't doubt it happens,
though.

But if his mailing address is in another state, how did he get the
driver's license? What did he have to do to prove his residency?

--
==================

Old December 23rd 17, 04:26 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 2017-12-22, Charles Richmond wrote:

[...]

There is a house built right on what is now the current Vermont/Quebec
border. You can buy it, live there, and stay out of jail... *iff* you
have dual citizenship:

https://tinyurl.com/y78zye3k

--
numerist at aquaporin4 dot com
Old December 23rd 17, 04:49 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 2017-12-22, Charles Richmond wrote:

[...]

It was MD and Delaware. I don't know how he got the license. Likely they
knew he was in MD because the state knows exactly who needs to pay taxes
ect. The University wasn't tapped into any of that so they had their own
rules!

You'll have to ask the kid, this was over 40 years ago when I was an
undergraduate and U of Md was a very big and bizarre place for me.

Old December 23rd 17, 04:56 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 2017-12-22, Charles Richmond wrote:

[...]

I heard about a guy who had property on the VA/WV boarder. The exact line
between the states had never been defined exactly until the 60's I believe.
When the drew the line by his house it put the house in WV! WV demanded he
pay back taxes for all the years he owned it! Worse, VA said they wouldn't
refund any taxes because their law says once the tax has been paid for some
amount of time, you can't dispute it!!!

I seem to recall he got politicians involved and they got a reasonable
settlement worked out. Talk about getting screwed!

Of course, this may all be urban legend. I heard this many years ago.

Old December 23rd 17, 10:35 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

-
it was long distance to call from one end of the building to the other.

The town of Lloydminster sits right on the Alberta/Saskatchewan border.
There's some interesting billing there.

This town has had that kind of problem since 1843...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle-Hertog

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Old December 23rd 17, 02:08 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 15:39:08 -0600, Charles Richmond
wrote:

[snip]

Back in the bad old days, two houses on different sides of the same
freeway... a phone call from one house to the other... was a
long-distant toll call !!! That is sort of analogous to speaking
dialects !!! :-)

I always thought that that nonsense could have been solved by
using a better zone system. A call to the same zone or only one zone
away would be local; the others would be long distance. Set the zones
to allow for cities and geography.

Would this have been workable?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Old December 23rd 17, 03:41 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 23/12/17 13:08, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 15:39:08 -0600, Charles Richmond
wrote:

[snip]

Back in the bad old days, two houses on different sides of the same
freeway... a phone call from one house to the other... was a
long-distant toll call !!! That is sort of analogous to speaking
dialects !!! :-)

I always thought that that nonsense could have been solved by
using a better zone system. A call to the same zone or only one zone
away would be local; the others would be long distance. Set the zones
to allow for cities and geography.

Would this have been workable?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

I don't often use 'snail mail' in Europe (we are still in Europe) but,
as I recall, for some time it has been possible to send a letter within
the EU for the same cost as a local one. As I recall, when this was
introduced, the rationale was that the bulk of the infra structure was
in place in each country and if, for example, I paid more to post to
Germany (I'm in the UK) the UK didn't 'hand over' any of the extra I
paid to any Post Office 'on route'- in the end it all just 'balanced out'.

Logically, the same must apply for telephone calls. Obviously a 'long
distance call' uses resources but, in the round, things balance out.
There will be exceptions- areas which have low numbers of travellers
etc. but, for most cases, surely the logic applies.

A mobile call in the UK costs the same if the two 'ends' are 50m apart
or 300miles. Why not the same for landline calls?
Old December 23rd 17, 03:47 PM posted to alt.folklore.computers,uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.rec.models.engineering

Gene Wirchenko wrote:
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 15:39:08 -0600, Charles Richmond
wrote:

[snip]

Back in the bad old days, two houses on different sides of the same
freeway... a phone call from one house to the other... was a
long-distant toll call !!! That is sort of analogous to speaking
dialects !!! :-)

I always thought that that nonsense could have been solved by
using a better zone system. A call to the same zone or only one zone
away would be local; the others would be long distance. Set the zones
to allow for cities and geography.

Would this have been workable?

Do many people still pay long-distance charges? For many years we've had
plans with "free" nationwide calling. For a while when kids were in school
out of state we had a WATS line so they could fall us free. I cancelled it
later because I was getting too many calls from Puerto Rico where the
callers couldn' speak English.

--
Pete