Old June 10th 05, 06:12 AM
John Smith

.... yep, he is phishing for "paranoids", these guys are the ones tying
up the polices phonelines with calls they inspire from old women
thinking a burglar is hiding beneath their beds... they think it
funny... at least, that is my best guess...

Warmest regards,
John

"Michael Black" wrote in message

Roy Lewallen ) writes:
The following was recently posted on another newsgroup in response to
similar posting there by this same infantile idiot. It's worth
reading.
You might have to reassemble this long URL if your browser breaks it
up:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e=source&hl=en

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

I didn't bother following the link, but the original message
was posted to three completely unrelated newsgroups, the other
two pretty obscure. So I'd say the point wasn't the question, but
to get responses into one or both of those other newsgroups. I gather
some see it as a game, and if you don't get responses in the specified
newsgroup, you don't win points.

So anyone who replied without deleting the other newsgroups was
playing
into the hands of the original poster. Those who didn't, like you
Roy,
well the poster doesn't care and likely won't see it.

The poster isn't interested in making a bomb, he's interested in
getting responses. The whole deal is to make the post seem almost
but not quite on topic to a newsgroup, so people will fall for it and
reply.

Michael VE2BVW

Old June 10th 05, 05:11 PM
Peter Wieck

-ex- wrote:
Winnie Oakbob wrote:

I'm an assassin and have to kill a mafia boss.I want to blow him up
with a radio bomb.

What do I need ?

A selenium rectifier. Might not kill him when it finally fails but he
may shoot himself because of the stink.

-ex

Or, simply turn it on to any given AM "Music" station.... No need for
anything else.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote PA

Old June 10th 05, 06:49 PM
John Smith

Anyone got any recordings of Wayne Green when he did the Art Bell shows?
Swap the radio for a tape recorder have him listen to a couple of those
shows--it will reduce him to life in a mental asylum. Much kinder than
termination by extreme prejudice....

John

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 10th 05, 10:50 PM
Jeff

It might kill him if he touches the radio chassis when the rectifier
fails. The stink is from the gas seleniums give off when they short.
Since the rectifier is in the power supply (across the AC line) and has
the full line voltage across it as long as the line cord is plugged in
(whether or not the radio is on), if it shorts it will likely put the
chassis at line potential (until the fuse blows). Another way the guy
could do himself in in a big hurry would be to touch the chassis of an
AC/DC radio and a grounded surface, such as a radiator, both at the
same time. Just a couple of thoughts.

Old June 10th 05, 11:25 PM
-ex-

Jeff wrote:

It might kill him if he touches the radio chassis when the rectifier
fails. The stink is from the gas seleniums give off when they short.
Since the rectifier is in the power supply (across the AC line) and has
the full line voltage across it as long as the line cord is plugged in
(whether or not the radio is on), if it shorts it will likely put the
chassis at line potential (until the fuse blows). Another way the guy
could do himself in in a big hurry would be to touch the chassis of an
AC/DC radio and a grounded surface, such as a radiator, both at the
same time. Just a couple of thoughts.

Adding a label that says "Do Not Use When Dry - Use Only in the Shower"
might be helpful since we are so warning label conscious these days.

-ex

Old June 10th 05, 11:34 PM
Steven Dinius

Put a Marantz/Superscope sticker on it. Trying to figure out why it's broken
will speed a coronary.

Old June 10th 05, 11:51 PM
Brenda Ann

"Jeff" wrote in message
ups.com...
It might kill him if he touches the radio chassis when the rectifier
fails. The stink is from the gas seleniums give off when they short.
Since the rectifier is in the power supply (across the AC line) and has
the full line voltage across it as long as the line cord is plugged in
(whether or not the radio is on), if it shorts it will likely put the
chassis at line potential (until the fuse blows). Another way the guy
could do himself in in a big hurry would be to touch the chassis of an
AC/DC radio and a grounded surface, such as a radiator, both at the
same time. Just a couple of thoughts.

I've never seen a radio where the rectifier is across the AC line. Half
wave rectifiers are in series with one side of the AC line with the cathode
feeding into the B+ line (thereby isolating that side of the rectifier from
the other side of the AC line by the tubes and electrolytic capacitors). Now
then, if a bypass or electrolytic were to short out completely, that would
put the AC line across the rectifier. At any rate, I've never seen a
rectifier that was energized whether the switch was on or not (save some of
the cheap SS stuff where they keep the PS live and switch the radio out of
circuit).

Old June 11th 05, 04:28 AM
k1man

Get an old shortwave radio