Old April 20th 16, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [W2LJ] A few thoughts about RC08.

W2LJ's Blog - QRP - Do More With Less.

A few thoughts about RC08.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

First, propagation was good that morning. Here's an image from the Reverse
Beacon Network showing some of the skimmers that heard me calling CQ:

Actual stations in California, Saskatchewan and Alberta successfully
completed QSOs, so my reach was even farther than the skimmers would
indicate.
Secondly, I was surprised by the local ambient noise level. I was sitting
at approximately the middle of a sand spit jutting out into the Atlantic
Ocean, and I still had an S5 noise level. I thought it would be way lower
than that. There were a few weak stations that I know were trying their
hardest to work me. I apologize for not being able to dig you out of the
noise. Even though the Hook is commercially powered up for the Coast Guard
station at the tip, most of the National Park Service buildings along the
length of the Hook were still closed as the "season" hasn't started yet.
The service buildings that were open were solar powered. I just expected
less noise - certainly not S5 on 40 Meters. My ambient noise level at home
is lower than that!

I came home with a sunburn. It was sunny and there was not a cloud in the
sky and I completely forgot, or paid no mind to the fact that the UV rays
from the sun would be bouncing off the water to all directions. I was only
out for about 90 minutes or so, and I got red. No big deal, as it wasn't
painful or anything like that, but something to keep in mind should I head
back for a re-activation later this year. If I do go back, it will be in
the Autumn, after tourist season is over so as to avoid paying for
parking. What can I say? I'm as cheap as any other Ham!
Lastly, it came to my attention the other day that Cheesequake State Park
is actually part of the National Park System's New Jersey Coastal Heritage
Trail (AA17), so that's yet another NPOTA activation that will take place
later this year. Perhaps as early as next month.
72 de Larry W2LJQRP - When you care to send the very least!

OT New Thoughts Burr Shortwave 2 January 16th 08 01:14 AM
RFI: After thoughts. [email protected] Shortwave 0 November 30th 07 07:07 PM
a few thoughts an old friend Policy 5 October 16th 05 11:00 PM
Interesting Thoughts Skipper Policy 0 October 7th 05 06:54 PM
My thoughts on the E1 mike maghakian Shortwave 130 August 11th 05 10:26 PM