Old May 28th 16, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2013, May 27, 2016

Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2013, May 27, 2016

Amateur Radio Newsline report number 2013 with a release date of
Friday, May 27, 2016 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a QST. Dayton 2016 is done - and we share some moments
in a special report. Girl Scouts join the pack - the Amateur Radio
Patch pack, that is. In England, a World War II wireless station gets
official protection. And we hear from our 1998 Young Ham of the Year
Award winner. All this and more in Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2013
coming your way right now.

(Billboard Cart Here and Intro)

**

SPECIAL REPORT: DAYTON HAMVENTION 2016 REVISITED

SKEETER: Missed going to Dayton Hamvention??? Well, we begin our
newscast this week by bringing a little bit of Dayton to you. Here's a
special report by Amateur Radio Newsline's Stephen Kinford, N8WB.

STEPHEN'S REPORT: From May 20 to May 22, Hara Arena in Dayton, Ohio was
the place to be. Ask anyone. Ask Gordon West:

[GORDON]: "Hi there, Gordon West, WB6NOA, we're in Dayton, Ohio,
2016.............We're having a great time in Dayton this year as we do
every year. So if you've not done Dayton put it on your schedule and
we'll see you next year. Gordo, WB6NOA, clear."

STEPHEN: And the more than 25,000 attendees were from everywhere around
the world:

MASHUP OF AUDIO FROM Chip Margelli, K7JA; Qatar Amateur Radio Society,
A71A represented by Saleh Alqahtani, A71EZ; Nick Henwood, G3RWF,
president of the Radio Society of Great Britain; and Vicki Mate, K8VGM
of the 3905 Century Club.

STEPHEN: Seminars, workshops, VE sessions, and whole lot of new radios,
antennas and other products vied for everyone's attention. Vendors
found Hamvention the perfect place to showcase new introductions to the
amateur world. So did AMSAT, the nonprofit amateur radio satellite
organization. We spoke to Barry Baines, WD4ASW, AMSAT's president.

BARRY CLIP: "So one of the projects we are working with is called Phase
4B, "4" meaning geostationery or geosynchronous........."

STEPHEN: In all, it was a time for eyeball QSOs, banquets, prizes,
expanding knowledge and to carry home a lot more luggage on the return
trip home. Because no ham can resist something good for the shack and
Hamvention had plenty of that. Before we leave, why don't we listen to
one more hamster at Dayton: Bob Heil.

BOB HEIL CLIP: "Well it's Dayton 2016, here we are again. My first one
was 1959......."

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Stephen Kinford, N8WB, reporting from
Wadsworth Ohio.

**

GIRL SCOUT RADIO PATCH IN THE WORKS

SKEETER/ANCHOR: Now here's a new kind of radio patch you won't find in
any catalogue. Amateur Radio Newsline's Neil Rapp, WB9VPG has the
details.

NEIL: Patches are nothing new to seasoned hams, but there's a new kind
of patch in the works that breaks entirely new ground for Girl Scouts.
That's right, Girl Scouts will soon be eligible to learn about ham
radio and earn a patch, just as Boy Scouts have been doing with the
longstanding Merit Badge. In an announcement at the Instructors' Forum
at the Dayton Hamvention on Friday, May 20, Maria Lysandrou, KD9BUS,
described the new patch-in-progress, a joint effort between the ARRL
and two Girl Scout troops. It's called the Radio and Wireless
Technology patch and the program behind it includes a curriculum for
Girl Scouts at all levels, introducing them to radio waves, the
electromagnetic spectrum, GPS, and of course ham radio itself.
Local clubs are encouraged to work with Girl Scouts and help them
along.

According to the ARRL website, authors of the curriculum in addition to
ARRL Education Services Manager Debra Johnson, K1DMJ include two girl
scout troop leaders: Jill Galus, KB1SWV of the Girl Scouts of the
Green and White Mountains, and Laura Northrop, KJ4ECA of the Girl
Scouts of Greater Atlanta. Cathy Freeman, KI4SBK; James Neufell,
K2GM; Steve Sant Andrea, AG1YK; and James Youngberg, K1NKR also
contributed to the development of this program, and Carole Perry WB2MGP
and others consulted with the group.

No, the patch is not a copy of the Boy Scout Merit Badge, but it has
merit in other ways: It offers similar experiences and goals and
kindles an interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
subjects and, hopefully, later careers. The patch has been a long time
coming, and only recently met final approval.

Debra Johnson, K1DMJ, is also the contact person for this patch at the
League. You can find the information on the ARRL web site, or email
.

Reporting for Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Neil Rapp WB9VPG, in
Bloomington, Indiana.

(DAYTON HAMVENTION, GIRL SCOUTS, ARRL)

**

MORE SCOUTS ON THE AIR

SKEETER: Speaking of Scouting, the K2BSA callsign is active and Boy
Scouts are on the air again, so be listening. We hear the details from
Amateur Radio Newsline's Bill Stearns, NE4RD:

BILL'S REPORT: This week in Radio Scouting we have 2 activations of the
K2BSA callsign in California and New Mexico, and reports from thefield.

Steven Chambers, KK6YAV, will be the control operator for the portable
6 station at the Crew Training Backpacking Campout at Mt Baden-Powell
in Glendora, CA. Steven's crew will be hiking the Colby Trail and will
be on-the-air sporadically between May 26th and May 31st.

Dale Finley, KB5NFT, will be the control operator for the portable 5
station at the Philmont Scout Camp in Cimarron, NM beginning June 1st
and running throughout the summer.

Now, from the field:

Jim Wilson, K5ND, reports that the K2BSA presence at Hamvention was a
success. Interest in Radio Scouting is increasing and we are looking
forward to an active summer camp season with Scout Camps on the Air.

Russ Mickiewicz, N7QR, reports their activation at the Columbia Pacific
Council Camporee hosted 200 scouts through the shack, and put 52 scouts
on the air.

Ron Glass, WN7Y, reports the NPOTA station at the Black Otter District
Spring Camporee hosted 150 scouts through the station, and put 45
scouts on the air.

Please help support this activity, and others involving youth in
amateur radio, by working and spotting them on the air and online. For
more information on K2BSA and radio scouting, please visit
http://www.k2bsa.net/.

For Amateur Radio Newsline and the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association,
this is Bill Stearns NE4RD.

**
BREAK HE

Time for you to identify your station. We are the Amateur Radio
Newsline, heard on bulletin stations around the world, including the
KB6OZX repeater in Riverside, California on Tuesdays.

**

HERITAGE PROTECTION FOR UK SECRET STATION

SKEETER: In Britain, a radio relic from the Second World War has not
just come out of the shadows, but gotten special protections. Here's
Amateur Radio Newsline's Jeremy Boot, G4NJH.

JEREMY's REPORT: While most radio operators are proud of the rigs and
other equipment displayed proudly in their shacks, there is one
wireless station just outside Norwich in the UK that operated in
obscurity, from the very start, its access hidden behind a fake
bookcase. The station also had to a nearby escape tunnel. Clearly,
this was not a typical radio shack, nor was it meant to be shared or
even discovered -- at least not during World War II.

Keeping it hidden was the whole point when it was set into operation in
1940 by Winston Churchill. Civilian volunteers were dispatched there to
transmit and receive messages for the Army, trading information to help
ward off an invasion from Germany.

The station, which finally came to public light in 2012, was recently
granted Heritage Protection by Historic England, a public organization
that helps preserve the nation's historic buildings and other important
entities. This station, one of many set up by Churchill to monitor
potential invasion, is known as the Pinebanks station. Located at
Thorpe St. Andrews near Norwich, it is now among three underground
wireless stations similarly protected - the others being Hare Warren
Control Station in Wiltshire and a Second World War Zero Station at
Heiferlaw in Northumberland.

But perhaps best of all, the station and its good work is now not only
treasured, but needn't be a secret treasure anymore.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Jeremy Boot, G4NJH, in Nottingham,
theUK

(BBC, HISTORIC ENGLAND)

**

ARRL'S PETE KEMP, KZ1Z, BECOMES SILENT KEY

Pete Kemp, KZ1Z, was well-known inside the Connecticut headquarters of
the ARRL. He had been Connecticut Section Communications Manager for
six years during the 70s and 80s. In his long association with the
league, he also held other field roles, for a time serving as an
assistant director for New England's Division Director.

Pete Kemp, who most recently was living in Wesley Chapel, Florida,
became a Silent Key on May 17.

Not only was he a licensed amateur for 47 years, he also authored one
of the ARRL's publications, "A Teacher's Guide to Amateur Radio
Instruction." An educator by profession, he had a polished way of
imparting knowledge and it earned him Connecticut's award as Technology
Teacher of the Year. He also became the ARRL's first Educational
Advisor.

A retiree from the Bethel, Connecticut public school system, Kemp could
be found as well in the classrooms at Central Connecticut State
University as an adjunct member of the faculty.

The ARRL's Connecticut Section Manager, Betsey Doane, K1EIC, remembers
him as QUOTE "a superb teacher in the high school, a wonderful mentor,
licensed over 700 hams, an active member of Candlewood Amateur Radio
Association and one who really understood what it meant to actualize
his potential." ENDQUOTE

And an amateur radio friend of his, Bill Barrett, KW1B, called him
QUOTE "a good soul with a gentle nature." ENDQUOTE

Pete Kemp was 67.

(ARRL)

**

THE WORLD OF DX

As the Wireless Institute of Australia prepares for its annual general
meeting and conference on Norfolk Island, a team of Australian amateurs
are activating the island through May 31, working as VK9NT. Listen for
them on all bands from 160m to 10m, working CW, SSB & RTTY. Be
listening too during the meeting weekend for the WIA's Commemorative
Station VI9ANZAC. Other stations operating will include VK9WI and
VK9WIA.

Olli, OH0XX, is activating PZ50X from Suriname through June 1 and can
be found mainly on CW, from 160 meters to 6meters. Send QSLs to his
home call; logs will be uploaded to Logbook of The World.

Listen for Randy WW6RG on Diego Garcia Island in the Chagos Archipelago
through May 30. He will be using the call sign VQ9RA, working SSB on
20, 17 and 15m. Send QSLs to his home call.

Finally, a World War II special event station is being operated by the
Radio Club des Ardennes through June 21. Their call sign is OS101AB,
honoring the 101st Airborne Division's action during the Battle of the
Bulge. Send QSL cards via the Belgian QSL Bureau.

**

KICKER: ONE "YOUNG HAM OF THE YEAR," REVISITED

SKEETER: Our last report for this week answers the question: "Whatever
happened to some of those winners of our Young Ham of the Year Award?"
We have an answer from our 1998 winner -- and from Don Wilbanks, AE5DW,
who caught up with him recently.

DON: We got an email recently from Richard Paczkowski, KF4BIA. Richard
was our 1998 Young Ham Of The Year and he joins us now via Skype.
Richard, great to catch up with you! Bring us up to speed on where life
has taken you since 1998.

[Richard]

DON: Let's go back to that day in 1998. The phone rings and its Bill
Pasternak, WA6ITF informing you that you're the Young Ham Of The Year.
Tell us about that.

[Richard]

DON: How is life in your world these days?

[Richard]

DON: I think that is an amazing idea! Tell us how to enter.

[Richard]

DON: Frugal Florida Fun.com/radio. Richard Paczkowski, KF4BIA, our
1998 Young Ham Of The Year. It's been great catching up with you!

[Richard]

DON: Again, the website is Frugal Florida Fun.com/radio. Pass it
along. There's more to our chat and you can hear it all as a
Newsline Extra. Visit our website, ARNewsline.org and click the Extra
tab at the top of the page. While you're there, check out the YHOTY
tab. I'm Don Wilbanks, AE5DW.

SKEETER: Great things happen to great young hams! With that in mind, We
remind our listeners that the deadline is June 30 -- so there's only a
little time left to nominate candidates for this year's Bill Pasternak
Young Ham of the Year Award. This honor recognizes licensed amateurs no
older than 19 and living in the U.S., Puerto Rico or Canada, and who
have made significant contributions to ham radio and their community.
Visit our website, www.arnewsline.org, and click on the tab for
"Y-H-O-T-Y" for an application. Send completed applications to: The
Young Ham of the Year Award, in care of Amateur Radio Newsline Inc.,
Editorial Office, P.O. Box 451, Huntington Station, New York 11746.
Remember you have only until June 30.

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE: With thanks to Alan Labs; the ARRL; the BBC; CQ
Magazine; Dayton Hamvention; Hap Holly and the Rain Report; Historic
England; Irish Radio Transmitter Society; the K2BSA Anmateur Radio
Association; Southgate Amateur Radio News; Ted Randall's QSO Radio
Show; Wireless Institute of Australia; WTWW Shortwave; and you our
listeners, that's all from the Amateur Radio Newsline. Please send
emails to our address at . More information is
available at Amateur Radio Newsline's only official website located at
www.arnewsline.org.

For now, with Caryn Eve Murray, KD2GUT, at the news desk in New York,
and our news team worldwide, I'm Skeeter Nash, N5ASH, in Topeka, Kansas
saying 73 and as always we thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2016. All rights reserved.