Old June 4th 18, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] IC-7300 MPAD: Just the feature I asked for

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

IC-7300 MPAD: Just the feature I asked for

A couple of days ago, I tweeted:

kb6nu @kb6nu

Feature Id like to see (on my IC7300 and other rigs): A button to return to
a previous frequency, kind of like the PREV channel button on some TV
remotes.

I got a bunch of replies to this, but the best one was from RamblinJohn:

RamblinJohn @RamblinJohn

Thats what the MPAD button is for.

How cool is that? The radio already has the feature that Im looking for! I
guess I really need to RTFM (read the fine manual) more.

Actually, even if I read the fine manual that was included with the radio,
I wouldnt have found it. The printed manual that is shipped with the radio
is just the basic manual, and this feature is only described in the full
manual, which is on the included CD or online.

Rather than just parrot the manual, heres the page that describes how MPAD
works:
Click for a full-sized image.

This feature does exactly what I want to do.

Heres how Id use it. Say Im calling CQ on 10.115 MHz. Im not having much
success, but on the waterfall, I see a station that I think might be
calling CQ. So, I push the MPAD button for 1s to save the current frequency
(and mode), then touch the touch screen to see what that other station is
up to. If that station is not calling CQ, all I have to do to return to
10.115 MHz is to press the MPAD button a couple of times (depending on how
many frequencies are in the MPAD memory).

Another way that you might use this is when youre on a net and you want to
have a quick word with another station who has checked in. Press and hold
the MPAD button to save the net frequency, QSY with the other station to
pass some traffic, and then press the MPAD button again to return to the
net.

I think that this is a very cool feature and many thanks to RamblinJohn for
cluing me into it. I wonder what the next cool feature that Ill discover in
my IC-7300? If you have a favorite radio feature (the radio doesnt have to
be an IC7300), please leave a comment below.

The post IC-7300 MPAD: Just the feature I asked for appeared first on
KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.