Old June 8th 05, 08:17 PM
robert casey

There was NO company named "Motorola" until 1947.

Until then, "Motorola" was just the model name for car radios...No
company...

So...how did "Motorola" do anything for Army communications in
1940...?!?!

Must have been the Galvin(sp) company, the ancestor of Motorola.
Old June 8th 05, 08:37 PM

Fritz Wuehler wrote:
In article . com
"K4YZ" wrote:

wrote:
from: K4YZ on Jun 6, 3:00 am

"Completely?" Tsk, tsk. No again. MARS was originally

begun
as a very small-scale (and low budget) ARMY project back

in
1925...more for publicity for the Army than any real radio
improvement (Motorola did more of that in 1940 than any

bunch
of amateur volunteers).

I am wondering how THAT happened, Lennie.

There was NO company named "Motorola" until 1947.

Until then, "Motorola" was just the model name for car

radios...No
company...

So...how did "Motorola" do anything for Army

communications in
1940...?!?!

More lies, Nursie? Where's your documentation?

Try this: http://www.motorola.com/content/0,,115-110,00.html

DUH??!

Old June 8th 05, 09:52 PM
K4YZ

Fritz Wuehler wrote:

More lies, Nursie? Where's your documentation?

Excuse me...

Are you even a person?

Steve, K4YZ

Old June 8th 05, 09:55 PM
K4YZ

robert casey wrote:

There was NO company named "Motorola" until 1947.

Until then, "Motorola" was just the model name for car radios...No
company...

So...how did "Motorola" do anything for Army communications in
1940...?!?!

Must have been the Galvin(sp) company, the ancestor of Motorola.

Absolutely correct, Mr Casey.

From: http://www.hitechwireless.cc/html/history.html

To wit:

The company was founded by Paul V. Galvin as the Galvin Manufacturing
Corporation, in Chicago, Illinois, in 1928. Its first product was a
"battery eliminator," allowing consumers to operate radios directly
from household current instead of the batteries supplied with early
models. In the 1930s, the company successfully commercialized car
radios under the brand name "Motorola," a word suggesting sound in
motion. During this period, the company also established home radio and
police radio departments; instituted pioneering personnel programs; and
began national advertising. The name of the company was changed to
Motorola, Inc., in 1947.

UNQUOTE

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old June 8th 05, 10:17 PM

From: Fritz Wuehler on Jun 8, 2:44 pm

"K4YZ" wrote:

wrote:
from: K4YZ on Jun 6, 3:00 am

"Completely?" Tsk, tsk. No again. MARS was originally begun
as a very small-scale (and low budget) ARMY project back in
1925...more for publicity for the Army than any real radio
improvement (Motorola did more of that in 1940 than any bunch
of amateur volunteers).

I am wondering how THAT happened, Lennie.

There was NO company named "Motorola" until 1947.

Until then, "Motorola" was just the model name for car radios...No
company...

So...how did "Motorola" do anything for Army communications in
1940...?!?!

More lies, Nursie? Where's your documentation?

Fritz, this self-styled "radio history expert" doesn't have much
in the way of documentation for anything.

Galvin Manufacturing Co. was founded in 1928 by brothers Paul
and Joe Galvin, buying out a small company that made "battery
eliminators." In Chicago, IL, long their corporate home.

In 1930 Paul Galvin coined the company logo "Motorola." Galvin
had gotten into making automobile radios. The MOTOROLA logo
had become more common in the pre-WW2 electronics industry than
"Galvin." Not an easy task to do that right when the Great
Depression had begun in the USA.

On an invite from the Army to observe radio use in manuever
exercises, Paul Galvin and a few high staff expressed their
thoughts that they could improve small-unit radio capability.
The Army invited them to try. The result was the SCR-536
"handie-talkie" which was contracted for in 1940. Although
working on HF and using a battery two-thirds the size of the
one-hand radio, it came into widespread military use just
prior to the USA's entry into WW2. Even the Secret Service
used them in protecting FDR in 1940.

Galvin Mfg had already gotten into making vehicular radios for
police prior to 1940 and Paul Galvin offered Dan Noble (then
working for Link) a position to improve police radios with FM.
As the USA was forced into WW2, and the production of the first
HT was ramped up, Noble did most of the design of the first
"walkie-talkie", the SCR-300/BC-1000 manpack transceiver that
operated at VHF, not HF. The first operational units of that
were delivered in 1943.

All of the above can be found in Paul Galvin's biography
(which I had in hardbound form). Some of it is on the
MOTOROLA corporate website.

Galvin Mfg also got into the little-publicized, but massive
quartz crystal unit fabrication during WW2, winding up as
the central "control point" for the efforts of up to 60 large
and small quartz crystal unit fabricators. Quartz crystal unit
production had the second highest priority during WW2 in the
USA, second only to the Manhattan Project. Total production
between 1942 and 1945 was one million units per month.
[source: Documentation on the Corning Frequency Control
website, mainly a paper by a retired PhD who worked on them
and published after WW2 in an engineering journal]

Galvin Manufacturing Co. changed its corporate title to
MOTOROLA in 1947. That was just pro forma action since the
MOTOROLA logo was now well known in the industry and had been
in existance for 17 years. In 1949 MOTOROLA established their
Arizona semiconductor division and became one of the largest
of the semiconductor makers. The corporate name of MOTOROLA
and the later stylized M in a circle are both familiar to
anyone involved with radio communications or semiconductors
in the electronics industry. MOTOROLA is a familiar name
seen by TV watchers or football games and NASCAR races.
MOTOROLA is well-known among public safety communicators
since the brand has been out in public since 1930.

You have to understand that Gonad the Librarian just doesn't
have anything worthwhile in electronics industry experience.
He wasn't born when MOTOROLA became a legal corporate
identity. All he really wants to do in here is FIGHT with
those he doesn't like. He is not good at that since he
doesn't have either the knowledge or the experience beyond
his amateur radio certificate (suitable for framing). For
example, he will not know that ON Semiconductor is a separate
corporate structure spun off of Motorola Semiconductor, which
itself was established in 1949...but, he does know the year
in which Galvin Manufacturing legally changed its name to
MOTOROLA, did not move from its Chicago location in the process
and only changed a lot of company letterheads and forms. So,
he tries to FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT, attempting some "humiliation"
of others that he perceives as his "enemies." :-)

Some wordplay on corporate identities is to be expected since
Stebie da Wundermarine can't really top those of us who have
been IN radio and electronics longer than he has been alive.
His attempts at wordplay using (to him) foreign phrases do
not work well, especially when he misspells the French "nes pas"
as "nes pax" (exchaning a French word with Spanish word for
"peace"). He does not recognize peace. A pun that is not,
as Yoda might say.

He should eat his gefilte fish and latkes in hopes that his
digestion might improve by not shouting PUTZ! at his "enemies"
so much. Kosher he is not. Oy, gevalt.

From: http://www.hitechwireless.cc/html/history.html

To wit:

The company was founded by Paul V. Galvin as the Galvin Manufacturing
Corporation, in Chicago, Illinois, in 1928. Its first product was a
"battery eliminator," allowing consumers to operate radios directly
from household current instead of the batteries supplied with early
models. In the 1930s, the company successfully commercialized car
radios under the brand name "Motorola," a word suggesting sound in
motion. During this period, the company also established home radio and
police radio departments; instituted pioneering personnel programs; and
began national advertising. The name of the company was changed to
Motorola, Inc., in 1947.

UNQUOTE

73

Steve, K4YZ

Steve,

Please don't mention 1947.

I just had a birthday last month and I am feeling *very* antiquated LOL.

I have been unable to learn new concepts, such as measuring your antenna
impedance with a volt-ohm meter.

I still cannot understand the concept of a class A amplifier being 50%
efficient (taught by the U.S. Navy in 1967).

I had a problem even as a youngster when a teacher told me that there was a
complex formula for finding resonant frequency, but L times C was close
enough. I was 14 at the time and already apparently suffering the beginning
of Altzheimer's.

I admit to having some problems with The Calculus but managed some months
ago to borrow a book and get back a bit of what I had forgotten.
Unbelieveably, The Calculus appears to work, but how can it when my algebra
is so poor that I am unable to transform F=L*C into F=1/(6.28*sqr(L*C))?

I can only assume that I have memorized many things in error. I don't
generally use calculators like many do to make change (I caught an error one
time a kid did use a calculator), so I suspect my basic addition,
subraction, multiplication, and division have not disappeared. Obviously,
however, my idea of equations must be in error.

Many folks state that pi is equal to 3. Well, that still doesn't work for
resonant frequency = L times C.

So, in any case, Steve, welcome to the club. You are likely as brain dead
as I.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA
ps - try to avoid these kind of threads LOL

From: http://www.hitechwireless.cc/html/history.html

To wit:

[...]

At this point, an honorable person would not only admit that they were
wrong, but would apologize to the person they were claiming was wrong,
---and--- apologize to that person for starting yet another slam
thread.

Let's see what Steve does.

Old June 9th 05, 05:06 AM
robert casey

Unbelieveably, The Calculus appears to work, but how can it when my algebra
is so poor that I am unable to transform F=L*C into F=1/(6.28*sqr(L*C))?

I enjoyed calculus so much I took it twice. :-)

Now if you actually learned enough to actually *USE* calculus
to solve something, you're one leg up on me.... :-)
Old June 9th 05, 06:32 AM
K4YZ

From: Fritz Wuehler on Jun 8, 2:44 pm

"K4YZ" wrote:

wrote:
from: K4YZ on Jun 6, 3:00 am

"Completely?" Tsk, tsk. No again. MARS was originally begun
as a very small-scale (and low budget) ARMY project back in
1925...more for publicity for the Army than any real radio
improvement (Motorola did more of that in 1940 than any bunch
of amateur volunteers).

I am wondering how THAT happened, Lennie.

There was NO company named "Motorola" until 1947.

Until then, "Motorola" was just the model name for car radios...No
company...

So...how did "Motorola" do anything for Army communications in
1940...?!?!

More lies, Nursie? Where's your documentation?

Fritz, this self-styled "radio history expert" doesn't have much
in the way of documentation for anything.

Sure I do.

Galvin Manufacturing Co. changed its corporate title to
MOTOROLA in 1947.

And there's the acknowledgement of it.

Some wordplay on corporate identities is to be expected since
Stebie da Wundermarine can't really top those of us who have
been IN radio and electronics longer than he has been alive.

The "wordplay" was yours, Lennie.

And regardless of when I was born, I can read.

YOU said "Motorola" was doing all these great things for the Army
in "1940".

"Motorola" was the name of a radio...not the name of a
company...in 1940.

Details, Lennie....Facts....

His attempts at wordplay using (to him) foreign phrases do
not work well, especially when he misspells the French "nes pas"
as "nes pax" (exchaning a French word with Spanish word for
"peace"). He does not recognize peace. A pun that is not,
as Yoda might say.

Guess that had something to do with the "S" and "X" key being one
over the other, Lennie...Oooops.

Of course we all KNOW that YOU don't make typos!
(yeahrightgigglegiggle)

He should eat his gefilte fish and latkes in hopes that his
digestion might improve by not shouting PUTZ! at his "enemies"
so much. Kosher he is not. Oy, gevalt.

You aren't my enemy, Lennie. You don't have what it takes.

Steve, K4YZ

Lennie Anderson...Self Destructive Or Just Doesn't Get It...?!?! K4YZ Policy 27 March 12th 05 07:03 PM
Mode/Band Use in 1961 N2EY Policy 44 January 10th 05 04:49 AM
Lennie Steps In His Own Excrement Once Again Steve Robeson, K4CAP Policy 3 March 23rd 04 11:46 AM
Lennie Makes "Idiot" An Olympic Event Steve Robeson, K4CAP Policy 0 December 19th 03 05:52 PM
Lennie's Double Standard Once Again Revealed...BY Lennie! Steve Robeson, K4CAP Policy 22 October 21st 03 12:08 PM