Old January 11th 10, 04:37 AM
Junior Member

Default SW rookie...GE shortwave radio 7-2990A info/manual needed

Hey guys-
Complete & total SW rookie here. Today I was given a rarely-used GE shortwave radio model 7-2990A today from a neighbor who was cleaning out his mother-in-law's house to sell. It's in perfect shape and I'm excited to have it.

I know nothing about this radio, or how to operate it, or SW at all. I'm all over the www reading about SW in general, but I would love to get a copy (or a PDF?) of the original manual so I can figure out the knobs, etc. Would also love to know more about this radio's shortfalls, things to improve, etc.

I'm in SoCal. You can reach me directly (probably the best way) at: forsaleinfl at aol dot com

Thanks for any info/tips/advice!

-greg
Old January 11th 10, 06:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 10, 8:37*pm, wgregt wrote:
Hey guys-
Complete & total SW rookie here. Today I was given a rarely-used GE
shortwave radio model 7-2990A today from a neighbor who was cleaning
out his mother-in-law's house to sell. It's in perfect shape and I'm
excited to have it.

I know nothing about this radio, or how to operate it, or SW at all.
I'm all over the www reading about SW in general, but I would love to
get a copy (or a PDF?) of the original manual so I can figure out the
knobs, etc. Would also love to know more about this radio's shortfalls,
things to improve, etc.

I'm in SoCal. You can reach me directly (probably the best way) at:
forsaleinfl at aol dot com

Thanks for any info/tips/advice!

Apparently from what I have read,
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6751

You have yourself a fine reciever. From what this link says - that
radio is basically a Panasonic - a sibling of.
That's cool that it has a blue LCD - I have a radio that is somewhat
similar in looks to yours that my Mom gave to me which was my first
multi-band radio.

From that link it appears there is only one drawback to the receiver
but it says that it doesn't affect the radios performance.
Good job and have fun with your radio.

Old January 11th 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wgregt wrote:
Hey guys-
Complete& total SW rookie here. Today I was given a rarely-used GE
shortwave radio model 7-2990A today from a neighbor who was cleaning
out his mother-in-law's house to sell. It's in perfect shape and I'm
excited to have it.

I know nothing about this radio, or how to operate it, or SW at all.
I'm all over the www reading about SW in general, but I would love to
get a copy (or a PDF?) of the original manual so I can figure out the
knobs, etc. Would also love to know more about this radio's shortfalls,
things to improve, etc.

I'm in SoCal. You can reach me directly (probably the best way) at:
forsaleinfl at aol dot com

Thanks for any info/tips/advice!

-greg

Listen between 9.4 and 10 MHz in the morning. 17.5 to 17.8 MHz early
evening. These are the Asian/Pacific stations. There's also a bunch of
Canadian relays everywhere. Monitoring Times magazine has a pretty good
schedule.

Old January 12th 10, 04:46 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justis View Post
Both manuals on their way! Enjoy!

Thanks for them both! I didn't even know there were two manuals.

Now...anyone know of a DIY fix parts/instruction for the tuning knob flaw, or maybe even a shop/someone who can fix it permanently?

Old January 12th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 10, 8:37*pm, wgregt wrote:
Hey guys-
Complete & total SW rookie here. Today I was given a rarely-used GE
shortwave radio model 7-2990A today from a neighbor who was cleaning
out his mother-in-law's house to sell. It's in perfect shape and I'm
excited to have it.

I know nothing about this radio, or how to operate it, or SW at all.
I'm all over the www reading about SW in general, but I would love to
get a copy (or a PDF?) of the original manual so I can figure out the
knobs, etc. Would also love to know more about this radio's shortfalls,
things to improve, etc.

I'm in SoCal. You can reach me directly (probably the best way) at:
forsaleinfl at aol dot com

Thanks for any info/tips/advice!

-greg

--
wgregt

Hi, WGregT - Strongly recommend this website:

http://www.eibi.de.vu/

It has frequenty updated extensive lists by time and frequency of
shortwave stations that can be heard, ranging from tint flea-powered
stations in third world nations to powerhouses that blaze away in the
US, China, Europe and elsewhere. Note that most stations are on
frequencies that fall into distinct MHz "bands" -

3.6-4,
4.7-5.1,
5.8-6.2,
7.1 - 7.5,
9.3-10,
11.5 - 12.1,
13.5- 13.9
15-15.5, and
17.6-17.9 MHz. A few other bands too, typically hard to hear.

Usually the lower freqs are better at night, and then the higher freqs
become more prominent during the day. The 7, 9, 11 and 15 MHz bands
are generally excellent at sunrise and sunset too, and lingering good
results can be had after those times, especially on 11 and 15 MHz.

Have fun!

Bruce Jensen
Old January 13th 11, 03:34 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgregt View Post
Thanks for them both! I didn't even know there were two manuals.

Now...anyone know of a DIY fix parts/instruction for the tuning knob flaw, or maybe even a shop/someone who can fix it permanently?
I can fix that radio for you! I fixed mine. It takes some time and work BUT it can be done. Contact me!

Ernie
Old November 4th 11, 07:39 PM
Junior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justis View Post
Both manuals on their way! Enjoy!
Hi Justis,
I was recently given a G.E. World Monitor P2900A SW radio from my father.
I was wondering if you happen to have a manual and or schematics for it?

Old June 4th 17, 11:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, January 11, 2010 at 11:46:35 PM UTC-5, wgregt wrote:
Justis;697594 Wrote:
Both manuals on their way! Enjoy!

Thanks for them both! I didn't even know there were two manuals.

Now...anyone know of a DIY fix parts/instruction for the tuning knob
flaw, or maybe even a shop/someone who can fix it permanently?

--
wgregt

I just got one of these radios and wonder if you could send me the manuals! At any rate, I fixed the tuning bump by buying a gear from an RC hobby shop, 18 tooth, 64 pitch, drilling out the hole to 5/32" and grinding it down to the correct height. Don't hammer the shaft to press on the gear, it will bend.
Old February 18th 18, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Justis;697594 Wrote:
Both manuals on their way! Enjoy!

Thanks for them both! I didn't even know there were two manuals.

Now...anyone know of a DIY fix parts/instruction for the tuning knob
flaw, or maybe even a shop/someone who can fix it permanently?

--
wgregt

I just got one of these radios and wonder if you could send me the manuals! At any rate, I fixed the tuning bump by buying a gear from an RC hobby shop, 18 tooth, 64 pitch, drilling out the hole to 5/32" and grinding it down to the correct height. Don't hammer the shaft to press on the gear, it will bend.

Hi - trying to repair tuning mechanism on a GE 7-2990. Encountered tuning bump-split gear. Where did you find a replacement gear? Also, any help you could share on grinding, etc. appreciated. Thx!