Old February 5th 11, 01:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Full Wave Horizontal Loop

Built one this morning for 10 Mhz (99 feet). Took about 15 minutes. It
works pretty well only 10' up. I'm going to put a bigger one on the
roof. Very low noise. Costs nothing. (You can drive the feedpoint with a
CATV balun, I'm using a 4:1 LDG balun).

VSWR is about 3:1 from 7 Mhz to 15 Mhz with a little dip at 9.9 MHz
(resonance). As this is a receive only antenna I didn't bother trimming
for absolute minimem VSWR. I didn't test lower with the bridge, but I
can get KFI (0.64 MHz) on it. I hear very little QRM on the loop.

http://www.radioworks.com/nloop.html

Old February 5th 11, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Feb 4, 4:03*pm, dave wrote:
Built one this morning for 10 Mhz (99 feet). Took about 15 minutes. It
works pretty well only 10' up. I'm going to put a bigger one on the
roof. Very low noise. Costs nothing. (You can drive the feedpoint with a
CATV balun, I'm using a 4:1 LDG balun).

VSWR is about 3:1 from 7 Mhz to 15 Mhz with a little dip at 9.9 MHz
(resonance). As this is a receive only antenna I didn't bother trimming
for absolute minimem VSWR. *I didn't test lower with the bridge, but I
can get KFI (0.64 MHz) on it. I hear very little QRM on the loop.

http://www.radioworks.com/nloop.html

Dave,

OK so it's a called "Sky-Wire" Full Wave {Length}
Horizontal Loop Antenna
http://n1su.com/loop.html
http://www.k5rcd.org/hor%20loop%20instruct.htm
Old February 5th 11, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 02/05/2011 09:37 AM, RHF wrote:
On Feb 4, 4:03 pm, wrote:
Built one this morning for 10 Mhz (99 feet). Took about 15 minutes. It
works pretty well only 10' up. I'm going to put a bigger one on the
roof. Very low noise. Costs nothing. (You can drive the feedpoint with a
CATV balun, I'm using a 4:1 LDG balun).

VSWR is about 3:1 from 7 Mhz to 15 Mhz with a little dip at 9.9 MHz
(resonance). As this is a receive only antenna I didn't bother trimming
for absolute minimem VSWR. I didn't test lower with the bridge, but I
can get KFI (0.64 MHz) on it. I hear very little QRM on the loop.

http://www.radioworks.com/nloop.html

Dave,

OK so it's a called "Sky-Wire" Full Wave {Length}
Horizontal Loop Antenna
http://n1su.com/loop.html
http://www.k5rcd.org/hor%20loop%20instruct.htm
.
-or- Loop 'Sky-Wire' Antenna
http://srgproperties.inetusanow.net/.../9467_2192.pdf
.
"Sky-Wires" come in Odd and Random Shapes . . .
http://www.qsl.net/kc8opv/antennas/s...oop/index.html
.
171-Meter Loop Skywire Antenna for PSK
http://www.eham.net/articles/17512
.
The Delta Loop (Sky-Wire) Antenna
http://dk5ec.de/deltaloop-eng.htm
Delta Loop : 3-Sided using only 3 Mounting/Rigging Points
=out+across+back=
.
Sky Wave {Skywave}
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skywave
.
"NVIS" = Near Vertical Incident Skywave Antenna
http://www.qsl.net/wb5ude/nvis/
http://www.w0ipl.net/ECom/NVIS/nvis.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Ve...idence_Skywave
.
iane ~ RHF
.
.
Sky-Wire Loop Antenna : Yahoo Group ~1200 Members
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SkyWires/
"NVIS" = Near Vertical Incident Skywave Antenna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Ve...idence_Skywave
.
K9AY Terminated Loop Antenna: Yahoo Group ~900 Members
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K9AYloop/
.
Loop Antenna News and Information Forum :
Yahoo Group +3100 Members
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/loopantennas/
.
Amateur Radio "HAM" Antennas : Yahoo Group ~2400 Members
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ham-antennas/
.
SEARCH Yahoo Group -for- Loop Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query...a&sort=members
.
Shortwave Listeners (SWL) Antennas :
Yahoo Group ~5000 Members
+plus+ AM/FM Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Windom Antenna : Yahoo Group ~800 Members
+plus+ Off-Center-Fed (OCF) Dipole Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/windom_antenna/
.
.

Leave it to you to make a 99 foot full wave loop of wire complicated.
Old February 6th 11, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 4, 4:03 pm, *wrote:
Built one this morning for 10 Mhz (99 feet). Took about 15 minutes. It
works pretty well only 10' up. I'm going to put a bigger one on the
roof. Very low noise. Costs nothing. (You can drive the feedpoint with a
CATV balun, I'm using a 4:1 LDG balun).

VSWR is about 3:1 from 7 Mhz to 15 Mhz with a little dip at 9.9 MHz
(resonance). As this is a receive only antenna I didn't bother trimming
for absolute minimem VSWR. *I didn't test lower with the bridge, but I
can get KFI (0.64 MHz) on it. I hear very little QRM on the loop.

http://www.radioworks.com/nloop.html

Dave,

OK so it's a called "Sky-Wire" Full Wave {Length}
Horizontal Loop Antenna
http://n1su.com/loop.html
http://www.k5rcd.org/hor%20loop%20instruct.htm
* .
[...]

Is the reception decent on 80m? I bet it's killer on 30.
Old February 6th 11, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 4, 4:03 pm, wrote:
[...]

I made it for my 30 m autospotter. It's noisy on 80, very quiet on 30.
On 80 I don't think it has any radiation resistance being less than a
half wave and balanced. If you have a rotator or don't mind doing
yourself you can make killer receive only loops only a couple feet
across. I wanted something I didn't have to aim.

Old February 7th 11, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 02/07/2011 08:10 AM, RHF wrote:

Dave,

Instead of running the Coax Cable up to the Wire of the
Loop Antenna and Feeding the Loop Antenna at the Top.

Try Feeding the Loop at Ground Level with 450 Ohm
Ladder Line or 300 Ohm Twin Lead from the LDG Balun
located on the Ground up to the Wire Loop Antenna.

Gawd I hope you're kidding. The feed point is under the fascia out back.
It is maybe 9' up. The BalUn is hanging on a screw hook with either end
of the loop held in place by staples and attached to the BalUn. A 10
year old prefab 50' Radio Shack RF cable goes to my MFJ feedthrough.

It works great on 10.140 MHz and above, below that the noise-reduction
capabilities suffer.

I do not want a rhombic antenna. I have a steerable vertical array.