Old April 4th 11, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Solar charger noise....awareness.

Old April 4th 11, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 04/04/2011 08:16 AM, m II wrote:

A fairly good write up of the noise issue with solar
regulators/chargers. There are a couple of things in the article I
disagree with, but for the most part, it's what you'd expect.

http://www.windsun.com/General/PV-EMI.htm

I was surprised to see that noise/inerference certification is missing
on a lot of the units.

mike

You really should be able to run stuff in your house directly off the
batteries. Eliminate the inverter completely. Eham dot com has some
inverter reviews.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/74

I'm going to make my ham shack PV/battery, but all the cool stuff runs
on 14 VDC already.
Old April 4th 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 4, 9:11*am, dave wrote:
On 04/04/2011 08:16 AM, m II wrote:

A fairly good write up of the noise issue with solar
regulators/chargers. There are a couple of things in the article I
disagree with, but for the most part, it's what you'd expect.

http://www.windsun.com/General/PV-EMI.htm

I was surprised to see that noise/inerference certification is missing
on a lot of the units.

mike

You really should be able to run stuff in your house directly off the
batteries. Eliminate the inverter completely. Eham dot com has some
inverter reviews.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/74

I'm going to make my ham shack PV/battery, but all the cool stuff runs
on 14 VDC already.

But if the inverter is still charging the batteries in daylight, won't
the RFI still be a potential problem in daylight?
Old April 5th 11, 01:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 04/04/2011 11:40 AM, bpnjensen wrote:
On Apr 4, 9:11 am, wrote:
On 04/04/2011 08:16 AM, m II wrote:

A fairly good write up of the noise issue with solar
regulators/chargers. There are a couple of things in the article I
disagree with, but for the most part, it's what you'd expect.

http://www.windsun.com/General/PV-EMI.htm

I was surprised to see that noise/inerference certification is missing
on a lot of the units.

mike

You really should be able to run stuff in your house directly off the
batteries. Eliminate the inverter completely. Eham dot com has some
inverter reviews.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/74

I'm going to make my ham shack PV/battery, but all the cool stuff runs
on 14 VDC already.

But if the inverter is still charging the batteries in daylight, won't
the RFI still be a potential problem in daylight?

The inverter only creates the Aztec pyramid looking "sine waves" for 117
VAC; batteries are charged through a voltage regulator. There are PV
panels with regulators built-in, which can directly charge 14 VDC batteries.
Old April 6th 11, 02:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 04/05/2011 10:07 AM, m II wrote:

On 11-04-05 06:32 AM, dave wrote:

But if the inverter is still charging the batteries in daylight, won't
the RFI still be a potential problem in daylight?

The inverter only creates the Aztec pyramid looking "sine waves" for 117
VAC; batteries are charged through a voltage regulator. There are PV
panels with regulators built-in, which can directly charge 14 VDC
batteries.

The peak power tracking chargers/regulators have the 'slice and dice'
circuitry in them. The idea being that you can get more power out of a
130 volt panel connection than a 17 volt one.

If you connect a 17 volt panel to a 12 volt battery, it's not too bad
for losses. Try it with a 34 volt panel and you lose half the output, as
the panel output voltage gets reduced to that of the battery.

A better insight into mppt chargers may be seen he

http://www.golandcentury.com/mppt

Thanks. I think some of that is pseudoscience or otherwise
insignificant. I'll eat the inefficiency in the name of noise
prevention. Always avoid PWM if you value your airwaves.

http://www.solardirect.com/pv/controllers/asc.htm

Old April 6th 11, 02:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Little ferrites in your clothing, little ferrites in your hair

On 04/05/2011 03:32 PM, RHF wrote:

Ferrite Beads Everywhere -ferrites-in-your-hair- ~ RHF
.

When you're in noise you use the little ferrites everywhere
Old April 7th 11, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Radio-Activity Turning Japanese Silicon Clips into Lead ;;-}}

On Apr 6, 3:43*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 14:49:39 -0700 (PDT), RHF

wrote:
On Apr 6, 9:54 am, wrote:
Including the Nuked Ferrites too?
Handle with Care.
cuhulin

Just Say NO To Japanese Nuked Anything !

All* Japanese Cars and Trucks Are Radio-Active !
* 99.73%

and that's the am/fm truth ;;-}} ~ RHF
-yes-'i'-am-xm-sirius-
.
.

- How about all those Japanese SW and amateur radios?
-
- Jim

Too Late...

None of them will work in 90 Days -cause- All the
Radio-Activity will turn the Silicon Clips into Lead.

nitt? ~ RHF
Old April 7th 11, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

One of those tee vee shows I watched a few years ago.There is a Tribe of
People in South America, when they want to 'cut' down a Tree, they use
their Teeth.They knaw on those Trees so they can push those Trees on
down to the Ground.They don't need no steenkin saws or axes or hatchets
or machetes or knives.
cuhulin