Old March 27th 14, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default MP3 recorder

On 3/26/14 18:56 , VegasNightOwl wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for not replying to the posts in a faster fashion, but have been
caught up with other things. I have read them all and appreciate the
inputs.

I've used Audacity, without the Lame MP3 DLL, and was actually tyring to see
if there were any other programs available with MP3 enabled. I would like
to find a "software" type, like Audacity, and not a MP3 recorder. I like
the idea of a hand held unit, however, the ones I've looked at have only a
microphone, I'd like to find one with an input jack so I don't have to worry
about cleaner recordings and unexpected background noise, etc.

VegasNightOwl

The current version of Audacity includes the LAME encoder. It does not
have to be installed separately. It also includes an array of plug-ns
for processing and equalization, also not requiring a separate install.

There are cost effective programs for recording, which are also
scalable, as is Audacity, for multitrack recording. A very good one for
Mac is Amadeus Pro. Highly intuitive interface, and easier to work with
than Audacity.

I have used/continue to use both, with excellent results.

Old March 28th 14, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dave,

Thanks for the links!!!

VegasNightOwl

"dave" wrote in message
m...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...-Scanrec.shtml

http://www.policescannerblog.com/201...-software.html

http://www.dxzone.com/tag-scanner-recorder/

Old March 28th 14, 12:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It appears to be a more deeply developed piece of software than Audacity and
that could be the reason for a heavily taxed CPU while in use. It does look
interesting and will check it out. It's funny how it will go from MP3 to
WAV an not vice versa. Again, copyrights, etc.

VegasNightOwl

On 2014-03-27 19:45, D. Peter Maus wrote:
The current version of Audacity includes the LAME encoder. It does not
have to be installed separately. It also includes an array of plug-ns
for processing and equalization, also not requiring a separate install.

There are cost effective programs for recording, which are also
scalable, as is Audacity, for multitrack recording. A very good one for
Mac is Amadeus Pro. Highly intuitive interface, and easier to work with
than Audacity.

When I was still using Windoze I tried Wavosaur (freeware) briefly. The
CPU load was heavier than Audacity but it seemed to work.

http://www.wavosaur.com/

Old March 28th 14, 02:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/27/14 18:24 , VegasNightOwl wrote:
Thanks for the update on Audacity. I will need to check out Sourceforge
where this program resides.

VegasNightOwl

If you're looking for something a little more sophisticated, and
wouldn't mind making a purchase, I'd recommend a full blown DAW. Ardour
is pretty good. Full featured, graphical interface, multitrack.
Shareware. A monthly subscription will get you unlocked features, and
support.

A commercial DAW that I use, is Studio One by Presonus. Four versions
are available, one being free, depending on what you intend to do with
it. This has a very intuitive drag and drop interface, so you can
produce with some speed. And depending on the version, a pantheon of
professional plug-ins are available, which include vintage professional
pieces like 1176, and similar. It's well supported, frequently improved.
And, unlike many versions of Pro-Tools, is hardware agnostic, so you can
use it with your preferred interfaces. Including those made by AVID, if
you're so inclined.

I use mine with Apogee hardware. Studio One finds, and connects to the
hardware with minimal configuration effort and no additional drivers to
install. Makes for light work.

Mac or Windows, and there is a free version at no cost to get you
started. The free version is basic, but fully functioning, to record and
edit your audio, it's absolutely free and it never times out.

Worth a shot, at least.

And if you like it, you can upgrade to a more sophisticated version
that more closely meets your needs.

Old March 28th 14, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/28/2014 06:40 AM, D. Peter Maus wrote:
On 3/27/14 18:24 , VegasNightOwl wrote:

You run Ardour for Mac, or have you come over to the dark side of
computing without profit motive, i.e. open source?

Ardour is a lot of fun but probably is overkill. Unless you have a
multichannel breakout it is kind of the same as Audacity, with a steeper
learning curve. Record .wav files, then boil them down to ogg vorbis or
flac or whatever. Ardour is decidedly cantankerous if you try to run MP3
on it. You need a third party transcoder, hard to find for free, even
may be impossible in Macworld, I suspect.

Old March 29th 14, 10:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Really looking to find somehtin basic. I like Audacity, just checking to
see if there is anything else out there that is worth trying and MP3.

What would be nice is to find a hand held unit that actaully has a line
input.

[...]

Another MP3 recorder [email protected] Shortwave 0 January 16th 08 01:09 AM
911 RECORDER'S F/S Jerry Swap 1 June 5th 04 04:52 AM
Scanner recorder want to find the scanner recorder softwhere-Name & where to find-please grateful Scanner 0 April 5th 04 08:03 PM
WTB: DVS-2 Voice Recorder B.Peter Treml-K8PT Swap 0 February 4th 04 01:38 AM
Recorder Chuck Swap 0 October 18th 03 06:21 PM