Old November 7th 18, 06:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Panasonic RF 2200

On Monday, December 21, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, D. Schopp wrote:
My anxiously awaited Panasonic RF 2200 arrived Friday.Now that I've had four
days to play with it I thought I would post my impressions

I was surprised to find the shoulder strap attached and the original ear bud
still in it's compartment in the back of the radio. I was also pleasantly
surprised that there is no wall mart but a cord that plugs into the back of
the radio and into an outlet for AC reception

It took me a day to familiarize myself with using the crystal markers to
calibrate the SW dial. Now calibrating the dial and determining the
frequency is very easy. I really like manually tuning the radio and the way
the radio tunes.

I'm amazed by the sensitivity of this radio on all bands, SW, MW, and FM.
I've owned a Sony 2010 and the 2200 IMHO is the more sensitive radio. This
morning, from my location in suburban St. Louis Radio Australia, on 9580,
came in loud and clear, with the RF gained only turned up to 5. There is no
need to connect this radio to an external antenna, the whip antenna is more
than sufficient. Selectivity is also very good . The wide filter on the last
2010 I owned was so bad I had to replace it with the Kiwa model. No such
problem with the 2200. The narrow filter works well, it cuts down on
interference yet the voice quality is still listenable.

The audio is excellent , I call it full and rich. This is the first SW radio
I owned that makes listening to music on SW and MW enjoyable. Yesterday I
was able to enjoy the jazz and country and western music on Deutsche Welle's
African broadcast. Although reception is mono, the audio quality through
mono headphones is very good. This unit has bass and treble controls which
allows one to adjust the audio.

FM reception is also excellent. A local college station, which was barely
heard on my YB 305 pegged the S meter on the 2200. Again the audio is
excellent. MW reception, with the adjustable antenna, is better than my GE
SR III. WINS, , New York, and WBZ, Boston, come in loud and clear after the
sun goes down. I was able to pick up these stations on my SR III but noise
prevented me from listening to them. This morning, at 11:30 CST, I was able
to listen to WHO, 1040, Des Moines, from here in suburban St. Louis. I've
never heard WHO during the day on my SR III. Chicago stations are also
listenable during daylight.

It's a big box to move around, it lacks the tuning ease and features of a
digital receiver, but the excellent sound, sensitivity, and selectivity,
make this my radio of choice. If this radio was still made today I would buy
another one tomorrow. Granted digital receivers have their advantages but a
good analog receiver is hard to beat.

D. Schopp

Does anyone have whip antenna for sale or know where I might find one for the rf 2200? My radio was in near perfect condition when I purchased it but my son used it, "without permission" while hanging drywall. So you can imagine what it looked like when I received it back. It took a lot of cleaning to get it back to looking like it had but I have not been able to find an antenna for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I love this radio! Thanks very much, Andy
Old November 7th 18, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 06 Nov 2018 21:13:24 -0800, andyboosinger wrote:

+AD4 Does anyone have whip antenna for sale or know where I might find one for
+AD4 the rf 2200? My radio was in near perfect condition when I purchased it
+AD4 but my son used it,

Did you check out +ACI-telescoping antennas+ACI on ebay? Just pay attention to the length and the end fitting.