Old July 5th 03, 11:39 AM
dxlover

Default GE P-780

I had wondered why this didn't get posted, it'd have helped if I hadn't
sent it to the boatanchors newsgroup.

~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*

I don't think I ever posted on my new addition, I googled and didn't find
anything so I thought I'd drop a line to the group.

Thanks to Brenda Ann :-) I now have added another piece of 'radio history'
to my humble collection. If any of you all are ever interested in a 'rock
solid' (understatement) straight up AM radio, the GE P-780 should be your
choice. You'll be glad you did.

This is a no frills BCB receiver with only a screw on the back for an
external antenna and another for ground. I just cannot understand why in
the world that companies don't make a radio like this anymore, I suppose it
all comes down to the mighty dollar, and it wouldn't be cost efficient.

Six D cell batteries is all that powers this heavy beast up, and it truly
is one heavy and durable radio. You hit someone upside the head with this
and they're in trouble...lol. What surprised me was that both the
selectivity AND sensitivity was better than I would have ever thought just
by looking at the radio.

I took it out to the cabin and rolled out 1000ft. of wire and I just barely
touched the tuning knob and I had a station with no images from another
close by, but as soon as I touched the tuning again.........there was
another one so close I couldn't believe I couldn't hear it on the other
station. BTW, the QTH at the cabin is literally surrounded by mountains,
but literally ziltch on the rf......which is splendid.

You don't need a 1000ft. of wire either for this piece to perform, that's
just my M.O. out there in the middle of no where. If you see one on ebay or
know of someone letting one go, grab it, you'll be glad you did.

For the ones that haven't read the link I posted for this a while back under
the 'My New Addition' thread, here she is. :-)
http://www.transistor.org/feature/jutson/details.html

**I'll add, I've had the GE Super Radio1/2 and they are toys compared to
this, IMO. The sound is 'incredible.'

--
~*~*~Monitoring the Spectrum~*~*~
***GO BEARCATS***