Old July 30th 04, 04:31 AM
Michael

Default random wire tuner

"DJ" wrote in message
I got a random wire tuner (MJF 16010) and I am clueless on how to properly
use it. I have an Sangean 909 with a random length (about 100 feet) wire
antenna. I know how to hook it up. Now what? I can't tell any

difference.

Hiya....

I don't think you will notice any difference with a tuner unless you are
first encountering a problem before you apply the tuner. For instance... If
you have a lot of wire as an antenna connected to a portable or any radio
that doesn't have the dynamic range for so much wire, you may experience
intermod. That means, your antenna is putting too much signal into the radio
for it to handle and then you start hearing signals from other frequencies
coming through the speaker when you aren't tuned to them. And... I really
don't think a tuner is the thing for you to use. Tuners are more for
transmitting, I think... What you want is a preselector :-)

A preselector narrows down what goes into the radio from the antenna so you
don't get the intermod and overload.

Also... If you are using a nice long wire antenna you'll want a passive
preselector. Active ones arent needed unless you don't have an adequate
antenna.

I have an MFJ-1048 passive preselector that I use. That model can be used
for receiving and transmitting too. For receiving only, I'd recommend the
MFJ-1046. It is less expensive then the 1048. IMO, it is the best way to go
if your antenna tends to overload your radio at times.

I use my preselector when I hook my portables up to my outdoor antennas. I
RARELY have to use a preselector with my R-75 at all because of its dynamic
range. The only time I need to use it with the R-75 is when I'm listening
way down on the tropical bands and one of the local 50 kilowatt AM stations
starts popping out.

Hope that helps

Michael

Old August 7th 04, 12:51 PM
dxAce

starman wrote:

The signal gain achieved with an antenna tuner for shortwave *listening*
is likely to be insignificant compared to improving the signal to noise
ratio with a good RF ground. A passive preselector can also help a lot
to remove spurious signals caused by overloading of the receiver's
front-end.

Please explain what you mean by insignificant.

Having a good RF ground is a given, but the use of a tuner can actually yield
significant results.

I repeat: If the use of a tuner results in a better transfer of signal to
the receiver, then reception will indeed be better.

dxAce

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-1046

CW wrote:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

"dxAce" wrote in message

Wayne Letourneau wrote:

Antenna tunners are used mainly for transmitting and have little or no

use
for receiving.
wb0cte

Not so at all. If the use of a tuner results in a better transfer of

signal to
the receiver, then reception will indeed be better.

I currently do not use a tuner, but certainly have used them in the past

with
good results.

dxAce

"CW" no adddress@spam free.com wrote in message
Fallow the instructions that came with it. Likely you won't tell any
difference. In some rare circumstances, it will help but mostly no.

The
show
the most benefit with short antennas.