Old September 3rd 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Martes Jerry Martes is offline

Default Convert DISH TV antenna for WIFI use. USB or RF FEED?

"Kaz" wrote in message
I am looking for an easy way to convert a standard DISH TV offset feed dish
for WIFI use. I desire to mount this thing on the rooftop for a long
distance rural link. I need to understand if it would be easier to go the
USB device route or what the ramifications are to going the traditional rf
and coax route? I think my install will require around 60 to 75 ft of feed
line. Could I use a wifi "extender" amplifier at midpoint to get past
feedline losses? If I go the coax route, what would be an easy way to feed
the dish? Could I use a tiny off-the-shelf external wifi antenna inside of
a can or do I need to homebrew something more extravagant?

If I go the usb device route to feed the dish, how can I extend that far?

I do need to connect this to a pc as a NIC or client, therefore remote
mounting a router wont do the job for me.

Hi Kaz

I have a system for extending WiFi using a Bridge mounted behind the
offset TV dish. That allows me to connect to my lap top thru CAT-5 cable.
As I read it, that wont work for your application. I'd like to learn more
about why the CAT-5 isnt acceptable in some systems.

Jerry (who is trying to extend wireless 1/4 mile to a shed in
the farm)