Old March 18th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Dave Edwards

Default Is CB dead?

I have not had an 11 meter antenna up in the air since around 1972 or so. I
have a clear memory of all the heterodynes and yacking on every channel that
used to go on. I plugged one in again around 1985 or so, because a buddy of
mine had one in his boat, and used it keep it on channel 5. Not much
difference.
Anyway, last weekend...for yucks, I hooked one up to a longwire. I did not
hear a single person on any channel! Perhaps it is the cross polarized wire
antenna.
So, I shot a wire over a branch, and hoisted a CB vertical antenna ..Astron
or Antron...something like that...a pretty good fiberglass antenna!
Still, other than a general high noise level...no signals!
Channel 19 used to be jammed...even with a handheld whip antenna!

Is CB no longer??

Perhaps it might be useful again!!!

Anyone check the band out lately?

.....Dave