Old April 7th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default RG-6 Coaxial Cable for Ham use

"Nod Dloyd" anon@anon wrote in message ...
I've recently read comments that several Hams have been using the RG-6
coaxial cable instead of the standard RG-8 or other commonly accepted
cables
such as RG-58.
One said that he buys this RG-6 at one of the home warehouse stores and
buys
it in 500 foot spools. He said it is far less expensive than the commonly
accepted cables we purchase from various Ham outlets.
Yes, it is 75 Ohm cable, but the users of same claim that it works quite
well and can withstand higher voltages than advertised and more than one
user claimed that they could run 1,500 watts through the cable with no
apparent deterioration.

If this is so, then I missed this open *secret*. Any input would be
welcome...especially the experiences of you who use it. I just happen to
have a spool of this cable in my garage that I purchased at an estate
auction some years ago and if it works as said, then I will cancel my
order
with The Wireman.

The 75 ohm cable is fine for usage. There are several minor problems to
watch out for. The major one is most of it is aluminum shielding and can
not be soldered to. The center conductor is often copper coated steel which
is another mechanical problem.
I am not sure about the power rating for the rg-6 but should be fine for the
100 watt rigs. The swr meters may not act correctly with the 77 ohm
cable, but you can still adjust for minimum swr.