Old February 4th 05, 01:56 AM
Caveat Lector

Well I may be wrong here but my understanding is the wires on the ground are
a counterpoise and need not be tuned. As they are coupling to the earth. But
it may take numerous wires for the counterpoise. Ground conductivity enters
into this as well.

Radials on an elevated antenna on the other hand should be tuned. Just four
radials on an elevated antenna will do well.

I had a ground mounted vertical and just sprinkled lots of wires thither and
yon as best I could to fit in the lot and the antenna tuned fine.

Try it and see the results.

You could try a half wave vertical -- no radials required but now you have
an impedance mathing problem.

Some Cushcraft antennas use a half wave end fed scheme, the black box at the
feed point is matching unit.
--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)

"jimbo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, I found a reference to a 10-40 meter flagpole antenna for HOAs
that don't like antennas. But they all require radials as long as the
vertical height of the antenna, and my minuscule lot just won't be
large enough for radials of any significant size. Is there any other
option for a vertical antenna for 10-40 meters that doesn't require
radials?

In another location, I used a random length dipole under the eves of
the house with a Johnson Matchbox tuner with good results. And maybe, I
can do the same with a random length dipole in the attic, but the
flagpole is an intriguing option. And I was always concerned about the
radiation in the house from the antenna and from the ladder line lead.
In fact, the irrigation solenoid valves used to open when I
transmitted.

jimbo