Old June 23rd 08, 11:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
justis justis is offline

Default Best Small Backyard Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna ?

Tried the MFJ-1024 and it's definitely going back. Quieter reception and
seems like more gain on my zigzag "array".
I even do better with my TPA Ameco active antenna, indoors. Too much gain
and it overloads, backing off the gain and it's just not equal to wire mess
in my backyard.
I think I'll just add the MFJ-1026 noise cancellor and live with what I
have.
Anyone experience one of these?
"RHF" wrote in message
On Jun 16, 6:04 am, "Justis" wrote:
-
- MFJ 1024 any good?
- Even thinking of a Wellbrook but quite expensive!
- Really quiet from the reviews and less bothered
- by hydro line noise.
- Only have 35 foot deep backyard by 25 foot wide.
- There are also Bell/Hydro wires running along mine
- and my neighbors adjoining backyards.
- Appreciate any help.
- At present I just have a longwire, 'kinda zigzagging the property.
- I also have 9::1 balun which helps with the noise.
-

Justis,

Best Small Backyard Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna ?

Small Horizontal Loop Antenna using a Matching Transformer
* 12~24 Feet per Side {48~96 Feet Long - Around}
[Square, Rectangle, Triangle or Poly-Shaped]
* 8~16 Feet in the Air {Over-Head no Hanging Hazard}
* Coax Cable Feed-in-Line
* Ground at the Radio Shack

Par Electronics End-Fed Short Wave [EF-SWL] Antenna
rigged as a Horizontal Loop Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html

Wellbrook Active Loop Antenna Model # ALA 100M
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ALA100Ma.html
rigged as a Horizontal Loop Antenna

Build your own 'low-cost' Horizontal Loop Antenna
from TV Antenna type Parts :
* 300 Ohm TV Twin-Lead Antenna Element
[ Parallel Twin Loops -or- Series Two Loops ]
* TV 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm Matching Transformer
* RG-6 Quad-Shield Coax Cable feed-in-line