Old October 31st 05, 07:26 PM
Mark Zenier

Default Underground antennas

In article ,
Tony Meloche wrote:
wrote:
I have an old Popular Science magazine around here somewhere that dates
back to the 1960's.There is an article in the magazine about a U.S.Navy
ELF (or whatever frequency they use) Antenna buried underground coast to
coast along the U.S.A./Canadian border.The Antenna is or was used for
U.S.Navy to commicate with U.S.Submarines underwater.
cuhulin

The antenna system was buried underground in the Upper Peninsula of
Michigan (roughly along the American/Canadian border, yeah). It was
decommisioned just recently, as they use different wavelengths for
communications now. It was indeed for communications with subs around
the world - my boss was a CMPO on a series of nuclear subs from
1967-1997, and can talk at length about the ELF system.

The antenna wasn't underground. They had problems with woodpeckers
drilling nests in the wooden poles that it was mounted on.

There was also a scientific study that found that trees growing
near the antenna were bigger than those further away. They
concluded that it was a small amount of RF heating that helped the
trees grow right at the beginning of spring. Tells you something
about the weather on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Mark Zenier