Old February 7th 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Hal Rosser

Default Passive Repeater

Example scenario:
There's a mountain between your house and the tv station and you cannot pick
up a tv signal to watch.
SO - you buy 3 high-gain direction tv antennas at radio shack.
You go up to the top of the mountain and set one antenna to point to the tv
station, and one of the other antennas to point toward your house.
The 2 antennas on the mountain feed to each other with 300-ohm ribbon cable-
like the other antenna was the tv set. (one acts like a receiver, and the
other like a transmitter.)
The third high-gain antenna is at your house - pointed to the antenna on top
of the mountain. This antenna feeds to your tv.
So yes - you need directional antennas - three of them.
The antennas need to 'see' each other.
I heard of folks using rhombic antennas on the mtn (uhf and vhf) - good
gain.

"Bryan Martin" wrote in message
The building location is maybe 500 feet away from where the repeater would
be. The parabolic grid is maybe 3000-3500 feet away from the repeater
location.

As for the output we will talk about the grid antenna first. It is