Old February 18th 05, 06:49 AM

Recapping? My old DX 160 is still playing away nicely. I bought it
new around 1976 and haven't noticed its performance is degrading.
I am not a tech so I can't say for sure but I don't think that the
caps in this radio are the kind that need replacing. They still look
nice and shiny unlike the big waxy cardboard ones in the old
Hallicrafters rig.
Experiment awhile with the fine tuning and main tuning. You will
reach a point where one or the other will show the correct freq. for
the band you are on. Note the "log " numbers on a piece of paper and
you should be able to get pretty darn close to a freq. when you want
to. If you have a digital radio you can use that to help point the
way.
Enjoy the radio. They are a lot of fun. I don't use it as my
main radio but enjoy dragging it out and using it from time to time. I
have been using it lately to listen to some 120 meter ham ragchews and
setting the BFO pitch to certain levels can overcome some local noise.
It is a bit like a poor man's passband tuning.
Regard, Bob