Old February 4th 05, 09:05 PM
Photoman

I have had to deal with the same situation and I found that ground moisture
plays a big part in making the ground radials work, no matter the length. I
picked up a couple 50 pound bags of rock salt, sprinkled it in and around
the radials before covering them up and it worked like a charm. Don't be
stingy with the salt... and it didn't even kill the grass. The longer the
rock salt stays in the ground the better the antenna worked. A good watering
down of the area is enough to start the process. If you live in a dry
climate an occasional watering also helps. Sure the salt will corrode the
wire but before that happened I'll probably be an SK.

That's my 2 cents worth but it worked for me. I've got up inverted Vees at
one home now and can really appreciate the real estate. I'm on the east
coast (VA) and have worked VK & ZL with 100 watts on SSB 75 and 40 meters.

73,
Ken

"jimbo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, I found a reference to a 10-40 meter flagpole antenna for HOAs
that don't like antennas. But they all require radials as long as the
vertical height of the antenna, and my minuscule lot just won't be
large enough for radials of any significant size. Is there any other
option for a vertical antenna for 10-40 meters that doesn't require
radials?

In another location, I used a random length dipole under the eves of
the house with a Johnson Matchbox tuner with good results. And maybe, I
can do the same with a random length dipole in the attic, but the
flagpole is an intriguing option. And I was always concerned about the
radiation in the house from the antenna and from the ladder line lead.
In fact, the irrigation solenoid valves used to open when I
transmitted.

jimbo