Old February 26th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

Default Silicone Grease In Coax Connectors; Comments And Questions ?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 19:11:14 GMT, m II wrote:

David wrote:

I have made thousands of professional RF connections (not Cable TV)
and never have I seen a connector that requires greasing.

We use Andrew 221213 Waterproofing Kits, on the OUTSIDE of the
connection. Good RF connectors are usually silver plated and require
no grease.

I can see that. I'd imagine the waterproofing kits have to be pretty
well made to keep moisture out. Silver, while a lot better conductor
than gold, oxidizes very easily. Lots of oxides don't conduct
electricity at all.

mike

If the metal to metal contact is firm oxidation will not bother it.

It is not unusual for a typical TV station to have dozens of
''silver'' bullets in the transmission line (these join the inner
conductorsin rigid line) last for decades with no ill effects. They
are kept dry, of course.