Old June 13th 04, 02:33 PM
David

The fixed-step (10 kHz) tuner is what killed music on AM radio. You
can get a much more pleasant sound by detuning a few 100 Hz. This PLL
crap sounds like ****.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 00:36:21 GMT, Jon Noring wrote:

[Following up on a thread dating back to January, similar to one I
started recently. Responding to Patrick Turner's comments.]

Patrick Turner wrote in January 2004:
Jerry Wang wrote:

1. Even it is a single channel [AM] receiver, I would still suggest
the use of one or two intermediate frequency (IF) stages. Because
to achieve good sensitivity you need to have enough gain.

Since you only want one channel, there is no need for a frequency
converter or any IFTs or IF amps, and a TRF with four tuned circuits
in the form of two critically coupled RF trannies will do nicely.

Interesting.

As I noted in a recent message, it is very intriguing to build a
modernized, high-performance AM tube tuner using the "channel"
approach. This takes advantage of the fact that licensed broadcasters
today must broadcast on specific frequencies, every 10 khz in North
America and 9 khz in Europe and elsewhere. So, instead of trying to
be able to continuously tune across the BCB spectrum, we can think
outside the box for the moment and consider the alternative of
building reasonably optimized tuning circuits for each listened-to
frequency.