Old August 5th 03, 05:41 PM
SAM

I have the MFJ-971 portable tuner that I use with a random wire when all of
the sudden I could not load on any bands and the "forward" power

That tuner utilizes two tunable caps and a multi-tap inductor. Typical
configuration and very simple. I'd open it up and check for the obvious; poor
solder joint, broken wire, shorted cap plate, etc. Check the solder
connections to the SO-239 as they probably experience the most movement and are
probably connected with stiff wire.
If you don't see anything obvious, solicit some help from someone local that
can give it the once over before you go spending money for a new one.

Good luck.