Old October 29th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jawod jawod is offline

Default Carolina Windom without a balun: go figure

I've attached the original article that describes the CW in question.
Three versions of the Carolina Windom are presented: Original single
wire feed, OCF with twinlead and balun, and OCF with 10' length of coax
to a choke balun (1:1). Mine is the middle one. Please see Fig 3A. The
balun is at the bottom of the twin lead (I think I mistakenly referred
to it as ladder line). I added large ferrite beads just below the balun
on the coax as discussed here in the group earlier.

With the DX Engineering balun in place as in the figure, no xmit and no
rcv ... i.e., no diff than open-ended (shorted?) coax.

When I bypassed the balun and connected the balanced twin lead directly
to the coax...NOW I have good receive and pretty good sig reports.

Yes a 6:1 balun should also work according to what I've read.

The feedline radiation is intended for the 300 ohm twinlead only, not
the coax below the balun.

I am pretty sure the balun is the Ruthroff type that Owen mentions
(i.e., not a CHOKE balun)

I guess I'll conclude that the balun has failed. However, on inspection
the balun looks perfect...it is only 2 yrs old, has5 KW continuous power
rating and I run 40 W. Also, it worked perfectly well when used
originally with the DX Engineering folded dipole, also using a 300 ohm
feedline. (this is why I chose the CW...I had the stuff for it)

I appreciate the discussion

John
AB8O