Old March 19th 10, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bw bw is offline

Default GE Super Radio

On 2010-03-19, Joe from Kokomo wrote:

If you are listening for actual content, it seems much more practical to
listen on the internet. No interference (QRM), no static (QRN), no
fading (QSB).

They didn't have the internet as we know it 30 yrs ago. I do
communicate via the net heavily. NNTP, IRC, IM, email, etc, but I'm a
hopeless gadget freak and have wanted to be a ham since I was in jr
high. While my buddy got his ticket, I was lured away by rock and
roll, guitars, and high volume amps, so went down that road. Now, I'm
a caregiver and stuck at home and am looking for more opportunities to
talk to others.

Well, it's as easy as it has ever been: no Morse code (CW) required,
study guides available for free on the internet and a passing score of
just 75% required.

Good luck on getting your ticket!

I'm studying like crazy and enjoying it. I've got enough of a math
and electronics background so that's no problem. But this radio
frequencies and propagation and just all the terms is a chore. Plus,
I'm learning code. I've always felt you're not a real ham unless you
can cw. I'll get there. Thanks.

nb

The ARRL handbook has about everything in one volume.
You don't need the current version. ebay has some variety as to years.
Also, the Operating Manual has some good info on operating (duh) current
info on their website.
I also have the antenna handbook and and older design handbook and I often
use them. Well written, clear diagrams, and written by and for hams. I have
a handbooks from the 50s, 60s, 1984 and 1995. You can easily see how the
technology has evolved, but the basics are pretty much the same. I also have
a VHF handbook, and a few others in a stack somewhere that I don't use as
much.