Old July 22nd 09, 06:23 PM
Roger L Crumley Roger L Crumley is offline
Junior Member

You got one GREAT radio! I bought this radio at the Freedom Hill PX in Danang Vietnam in Spring 1970. Has worked well ever since (except yesterday the on-off switch failed...and now I have to try to figure out how to fix it.) This radio has the best bass and treble of any small radio I've ever owned. i have a mild high frequency hearing loss (again something I got in Vietnam) and this radio boosts the highs beautifully in "music" mode on the Tonal setting. Congratulations.
and if anyone has thoughts about how to repair the on-off switch...(it won't turn on anymore)...let me know.
thanks
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
A few days ago I picked up at an estate sale, for 3 dollars, a
National
Panasonic "World boy" custom model# RF-850HB ac/dc radio. AM/FM/SW.
12 transistor 8 diodes. Has anyone seen or heard one of these
radios? I am amazed, extremely amazed at the volume and sound quality
of this little portable. I can't believe that it sounds so well.
Volume is loud, too loud; speaker distorts finally at upper limits of
the volume control. But the sound is high-fidelity, crisp, clear,
clean. Lows below and the highs are crisp and clear. Unbelievable.
Made in Japan in 1968. Came with one of those period ersatz leather
cases. On the case handle there is a small pouch containing the
earphone. Excellent condition. I'm telling you, Bose has nothing on
this radio. I opened it up to clean the band selector, and noticed
the transistors. a few of the familiar period cans, but several very
small white "pucks" looking much like SMD technology, with the three
leads coming out the sides. Marked with 459, 185, 183, etc. Two
transistors I couldn't see, but I believe the were mounted push-pull
for the audio final under and on the metal plate lining the underside
of the battery box. The Japanese did well back in th' day with this
one. Sensitive, too. Picks up as well as my Worldstar or Grundig.
It has a 7" ferrite rod inside and a small telescoping whip.