Old June 16th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] plimmer@telkomsa.net is offline

Default Best small backyard antenna?

On Jun 16, 3:04*pm, "Justis" wrote:
MFJ 1024 any good?

No, don't waste your money!

Even thinking of a Wellbrook but quite expensive! *Really quiet from the
reviews and less bothered by hydro line noise.

Ya, a great choice for a small yard with high RF noise, also a RF
Systems DX1 Professional MKII gives me outstanding results.

Only have 35 foot deep yard by 25 wide.
There are also Bell/Hydro wires running along mine and my neighbors
adjoining backyards.
Appreciate any help.

I had a small yard, but it was bigger than yours. See my experiments
at:
http://www.dxing.info/community/view... 5c568de51b0f

At present I just have a longwire, 'kinda zigzagging the property. * I also
have 9::1 balun which helps with the noise.

Zigzagging wires work against themselves = not likely to perform well.
Goog luck and try a bit of antenna farming first with cheap wire, but
you need a couple of very high poles at the extremities of your yard.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8. ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx