Old October 3rd 03, 12:26 AM
Tarmo Tammaru

Tom,

There is a way of doing it, using two matching sections. It is described in
either the ARRL Handbook, or Antenna Manual. It takes a length of 50 Ohm
coax (NOT 1/4 wave) + a length of 75 Ohm coax (NOT 1/4 wave) to match to 50
Ohms. If I run across it, I will post it.

Before you do all that, put up the antenna and feed it with 50 Ohm coax.
Measure the SWR. Often the dipole impedance is closer to 50 than 75 Ohms,
and it is not worth doing anything about it, especially an inverted V.
Certainly, don't do anything if your radio has a built in antenna tuner.

Tam/WB2TT
"Tom Sedlack" wrote in message
I asked this before and was told that for relatively short runs (under 50
ft), using 50 ohm coax to feed dipoles is fine.

I keep coming back to this in my head because I model a dipole and I get a
VSWR of 1.5 using 50 ohm feed and I get 1:1 if I model with 75 ohm feed.

My plan for my little antenna farm is to have a run of 50 ohm coax to a
remote antenna switch. Create a few dipoles and feed them with 75 ohm

coax.
I saw an equation someplace that, I believe, gave the length of 75 ohm

feed
required to transform the impedance to 50 ohms at a given frequency. I

would
cut the cable to this length then connect to the 50 ohm antenna switch.

246 x Velocity Factor
Freq

Does all this make sense? Am I going overboard (a curse of trying to be a
perfectionist)? I don't want to use a tuner because; 1 - I don't own one
and 2 - they waste power (I want to try QRPish operation).

Also, if the above is correct, would I still need to put a current choke
(coil of coax) or would the "fact" that the feed and dipole are matched,
there wouldn't be RF on the jacket?

My head is starting to hurt........

Tom