Old September 23rd 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Carolina Windom revisited: 4 to 1 balun does nothing to choke RF ?

wrote in message
Cecil,
I sort of thought that this OCF antenna was typically used for a
multiband antenna, that's typically the 'idea' behind using them.
Keeping that 'thought' in mind, how can you 'optimize' this multiband
antenna for one particular band without 'de-optimizing' it for
others? That seems sort of going at it from the wrong direction, why
not use an antenna that works well for the particular band of
interest. Oh, I know that assumes that you can have more than one
antenna, which isn't always the case. So having an 'un-optimized'
antenna is what you'll end up with in most (if not all) bands except
for one. Which is the 'fault' for almost all multiband antennas.
Isn't it?
- 'Do

Seems to me it's not "optimized" for any band, but is just a fudged
radiator fed by ladder line, matched with a tuner or maybe a pi-net without
too much line loss. You can fiddle with it to your hearts content, but in
the end will it load up where you want it to and will you get out? It would
be nice to have an antenna analyzer to have some indication of YOUR
installation as you fiddle. Obviously you will have trouble using any of
the modern internal ATUs.

Years ago, I threw one up but fed it with coax. It didn't work so I rebuilt
it as parallel fed Dipoles for 80 and 40m.

Thanks for the NEC output, Cecil.