Old March 19th 10, 12:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mike Mc Manus Mike Mc Manus is offline

Default GE Super Radio

On Mar 19, 3:40*am, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

On 2010-03-18, Joe from Kokomo wrote:

1) Strictly speaking, you are correct. It isn't "shortwave".

2) However, from a reality viewpoint, many do post their MW catches here.

So, catching, say, KGO in San Francisco while living in Northern Oregon
would be considered a valid connection for a DXer?

I'm embarrassingly new at this and am trying to learn the ins and
outs. *I've made the above connection before, but didn't realize it
was any big deal, KGO broadcasting at 50KW. *I wasn't trying to score
a long catch, jes hear a radio station I was very familiar with.

nb

KGO from northern OR isn't much of a catch. Anything past about an hour or
so past sundown and you can hear them on a crystal set (much easier on even
a pocket radio). *Ditto for KFI, KFBK, KSL, KBOI, ad inf.

Strictly speaking medium wave listening isn't Shortwave. I recall
snaking a little plastic transister radio into bed when I was about
eight years old and listening to the Jean Sheperd radio show late in
the PM with the radio under the pillow.
I was in Philadelphia and i heard WKBW from Buffalo NY. What that was
something! I still listen to the radio but it is shortwave radio and
I hear the radio signals from thousands of miles away and I don't
have to sneak the radio into the sack.just wear a headphone so I don't
keep my wife awake with the noise.