Old April 12th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Joey[_3_] Joey[_3_] is offline

Default Anyone still use packet radio?

I wish I could find a use for it, but all good things come to an
almost-end, I guess

I can't say the internet has been bad for amatuer radio... look at
IRLP, echolink, etc. success. It seems everything comes back to voice
traffic.... look at VoIP on the internet, we have a big fast data
network, and guess what? we want to TALK on it (or download p0rn.
lol)

I guess my voice capable HT will never be obsolete! And that's why i
keep it up and running...

On 12 Apr 2007 07:22:20 GMT, blue box thief "blue box

On 2007-04-12, Joey joey29034atyawwhodotcom wrote:
Just curious how many out there still have active 2m packet radio in
their area? Aside from APRS, I don't think anyone is listening... and
even that seems to be fading here.

I am not sure about that (aprs I mean). In Ireland there seems to be alot
of activity. Maybe its only by a small number, but it looks busy.

I've been rather inactive for the past 7-10 years and it seems packet
has dissapeared in that time! Anyone have any creative ideas?

Well the only thing that hasn't been sent is pr0n..that seems a money-spinner
on cell networks.

I honestly can't come up with any use for it that I can't already do
over the internet... My laptop even has built in EVDO on two cell
networks (redundancy!). What more can I ask for?

I remember going to a radio meeting(probably the only meeting i went to!)
, dunno, about 7-8 years ago.
I argued that Internet was good for ham radio, while alot of people (waay more
experienced than I) argued the opposite. It'll kill DX, Packet etc.

I argued the opposite. It'll give people opportunity to find information, access
to other sides of the world, as if they were in their backgarden.

A little bit of both seems to have happened. Is that a bad thing?

PS. 3 month old TH-D7A for sale

How about you and me have a chat http://www.runningwithbulls.com/blog/contact-us/

thanks,
bernard