Old November 16th 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ian White GM3SEK Ian White GM3SEK is offline

Default weller EC2002C soldering station

Grumpy The Mule wrote:

I've managed several labs where we had dozens of WTCP stations in daily
use.

The only problem I found with WTCP is the connector between the base
and the cord. I usually remove the connector and hardwire the cord at
the base. It causes the intermittent operation that you've decribed.

I couldn't agree with you more concerning the damage Cooper did to the
Weller brand. Since they moved production to Mexico the quality
control is nonexistant. Some of the design changes which I believe
were intended as cost reductions were ill advised too. The old Weller
soldering guns are indestructable.

I wouldn't be without my TCP, and spares are still available. Cooper
Tools in the UK give excellent customer support (though that's the
people, not the product).

At home I have a Pace soldering/desoldering station and a Metcal SMT
station. I've no complaints other than the price.

At work we have a Hakko soldering/deslodering station and it's a real
work horse. We also have a Metcal SMT station which is a bit fussy but
it has been though hell and back. We just bought a couple Pace ST70
soldering stations for general purpose work. I think we will buy a few
more, they're great.

Also take a look at the JBC range of soldering stations. They are beyond
my amateur budget but professional friends rave about them - they seem
to do everything the Metcal range can (and more) without the complex and
expensive RF heating. There's a video presentation at:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v2hLFmHTQvo

It's too bad that Wahl quit selling Sterling soldering irons in the US.
It's an odd little iron but I love it. Thirty years old and it's still
the first iron I reach for in my shop. The original tip is perfect! I
called Wahl about buying a second iron and no one there knew what I was
talking about. The most clever feature is an aluminum washer between
the tip and body of the iron. The difference in coefficient of
expansion keeps the tip from seizing. It says made in England on the
body. Google was no help... sigh.

If you can post a photograph on a website, someone here in the UK may be
able to identify it.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek