Old May 20th 05, 06:52 PM
Chuck Harris

Randy or Sherry Guttery wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:

(flame suit on, helmet latched, as I await the onslot of rebuttles
from HP guys..)

No, I agree - while ok for "routine work" the 141 is *old*. OTHO - if I
were to suggest a Tek 7603 solution - I'd say see if you can possibly
squeak into a 7L18. I know - an absolute budget buster - but it can
"look" at just about anything in the "usual" spectrum - and do it with
fair accuracy. Had the pleasure of using them - never could afford one
myself - but perhaps some day. Oh - and a word of caution - if you're
going to some 7000 series solution like this - don't make the mistake of
buying an USM-281C - they'll tell you it's a 7603 - and indeed they are
- what they DON'T tell you is that they are a 7603 Option something or
other - which means they DON'T have the on screen readout... Which makes
a 7L - and similar stuff useless in them.

best regards...

I too, like the 7L18. I have the 7L5, 7L13, and 7L18 on my bench. The
7L18 is not a general purpose SA, as its range is 1.5GHz to 60GHz. It
doesn't go down to DC in its capabilities.

The 7L5 is DC to 5GHz, with digital storage.
The 7L13 is DC to 1.8GHz no storage.
The 7L14 is DC to 2.5GHz(?), with digital storage.
The 7L18 is 1.5GHz to 18GHz, 60GHz w/external mixers, with digital storage.

The 7L14 is the holy grail of the series, as it has the digital storage
and a slightly improved bandwidth.

They all make extensive use of the "labeling" feature of the 7000 series
scopes, so it is important to avoid the "N" option on your mainframe.

-Chuck Harris