Old December 7th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
philo philo is offline

Default 6L6 substitute

"Stev eH"
StevehkhhSDJvhvbjjxbvvbhnvbhzjdnxzvzhzdshbvnjzvnb vnvjbvbcjbvvvvnmxvzjhjzsdg
fgsfghgjsghgsljhglhdjfghfufgfhzysgfhczgugfvzlvufzv llgfzlyfyvlgbylvdfghvblyry
wrote in message
JIMMIE wrote:
After years of avoiding morse code I am finally getting into it. the
ideal of operating a very simple transmitter appeals to my junkbox/
trashcan construction mentality.
I am looking for a substitute for a 6L6 that has the plate brought out
the top. I was trying to build a little Glowbug transmitter but was
having all kinds of problems neutralizing the the thing. I think I
would have better luck if I can separate the grid and plate circuits
from each other. I am considering an 807 as a replacement Suggestions
would be appreciated.

Jimmie

An 807 IS a 6L6 with a top cap anode connection. Any of the TV line
output valves will also do the job if you want cheap, the 6DQ6B works
well and has an octal base (The sockets for the 807 are rare).
6146 or 2e26 etc work well but will cost you more.

Steve H

No way!

Back in the old days I've used both 6L6 and 807's and they are not the same
tube at all.

You could probably use a 6L6 to drive an 807 though

IIRC, the usual driver for an 807 was often a 6AG7 but I'd sure a 6L6 would
be fine